Canonical transformation problem

In summary: I substitute for ##\left( \frac{p_1 - p_2}{2q^1} \right)^2## in H. My equation for P_2 is consistent with the solutions manual, but my equation for P_1 is not. According to the solutions manualP_1=\frac{p_1+p_2}{2q^1}.
mjordan2nd

Homework Statement

Let [itex]Q^1 = (q^1)^2[/itex], [itex] Q^2 = q^1+q^2[/itex], [itex]P_{\alpha} = P_{\alpha}\left(q,p \right)[/itex], [itex]\alpha = 1,2[/itex] be a CT in two freedoms. (a) Complete the transformation by finding the most general expression for the [itex]P_{\alpha}[/itex]. (b) Find a particular choice for the [itex]P_{\alpha}[/itex] that will reduce the Hamiltonian

[tex]H = \left( \frac{p_1 - p_2}{2q^1} \right)^2 + p_2 + (q^1 + q^2)^2[/tex]

to

[tex] K = P_1^2 + P_2.[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have shown that

[tex]P_1 = \frac{1}{2q^1} \left( p_1 + \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^1} - p_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2} \right), [/tex]

[tex]P_2 = p_2 + \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2}[/tex]

is the most general canonical transformation for the momenta, where [itex]F=F(q^1, q^2)[/itex]. This is consistent with the solution manual. For part b, however, the answer I get for an intermediate step is inconsistent with the solutions manual, and I don't understand why. Given that the transformation is canonical, all I need to do to find the transformed Hamiltonian K is find the inverse transformation and plug it into the Hamiltonian H. The inverse transformation is

[tex] p_2 = P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2},[/tex]
[tex] p_1 = 2q^1P_1 + P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^1}.[/tex]

Plugging this into H, and renaming H to K since it's in terms of the transformed coordinates we have

[tex] K = P_1^2 + P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2} + (q^1 + q^2)^2.[/tex]

Since we want K to be

[tex] K = P_1^2 + P_2,[/tex]

this means

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2} = (q^1+q^2)^2 = (q^1)^2+(q^2)^2+2q^1q^2.[/tex]
[tex]F=q^2(q^1)^2 + \frac{1}{3}(q^2)^3 +q^1(q^2)^2 + C.[/tex]

Plugging this into the general transformation I derived I find that

[tex]P_1 = \frac{1}{2q^1} \left(p_1-p_2-(q^1)^2 \right),[/tex]
[tex]P_2 = (q^1+q^2)^2+p_2.[/tex]

My equation for [itex]P_2[/itex] is consistent with the solutions manual, but my equation for [itex]P_1[/itex] is not. According to the solutions manual

[tex]P_1=\frac{p_1+p_2}{2q^1}.[/tex]

So my question is, where did I go wrong. I have worked out the problem twice, and get the same answer for [itex]P_1[/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mjordan2nd said:
[tex]H = \left( \frac{p_1 - p_2}{2q^1} \right)^2 + p_2 + (q^1 + q^2)^2[/tex]

The inverse transformation is

[tex] p_2 = P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2},[/tex]
[tex] p_1 = 2q^1P_1 + P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^1}.[/tex]

Plugging this into H, and renaming H to K since it's in terms of the transformed coordinates we have

[tex] K = P_1^2 + P_2 - \frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2} + (q^1 + q^2)^2.[/tex]

I think you dropped some terms when you substituted for ##\left( \frac{p_1 - p_2}{2q^1} \right)^2## in H.

Since we want K to be

[tex] K = P_1^2 + P_2,[/tex]

this means

[tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial q^2} = (q^1+q^2)^2 = (q^1)^2+(q^2)^2+2q^1q^2.[/tex]
[tex]F=q^2(q^1)^2 + \frac{1}{3}(q^2)^3 +q^1(q^2)^2 + C.[/tex]

Note that the C here is possibly a function of ##q^1##.

According to the solutions manual

[tex]P_1=\frac{p_1+p_2}{2q^1}.[/tex]

I might have made a mistake, but I get [tex]P_1=\frac{p_1-p_2}{2q^1}[/tex]

Wow, don't know how I managed to do that twice. I think I see my mistake now. Thank you.

Edit: I also get flipped minus signs from the book's answers

[tex]P_2=p_2-(q^1+q^2)^2[/tex]

[tex]P_1=\frac{1}{2q^1}(p_1-p_2)[/tex]

Last edited:
mjordan2nd said:
Wow, don't know how I managed to do that twice. I think I see my mistake now. Thank you.

Edit: I also get flipped minus signs from the book's answers

[tex]P_2=p_2-(q^1+q^2)^2[/tex]

[tex]P_1=\frac{1}{2q^1}(p_1-p_2)[/tex]

I get [tex]P_2=p_2+(q^1+q^2)^2[/tex] and [tex]P_1=\frac{1}{2q^1}(p_1-p_2)[/tex]

I am unsure what the correct answer is.

As a scientist, it is important to carefully check all calculations and assumptions made in the solution of a problem. It is possible that there may have been a mistake in the mathematical steps, or there may be different approaches to solving the problem that could lead to different answers. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or to refer to additional resources for guidance. Ultimately, it is important to understand the underlying principles and concepts involved in the problem, rather than just focusing on the final answer. This will help to ensure a deeper understanding and ability to apply the knowledge in future problems.

Related to Canonical transformation problem

1. What is a canonical transformation problem?

A canonical transformation problem is a mathematical problem in classical mechanics that involves finding a set of new coordinates and momenta for a system that preserves the equations of motion and the Hamiltonian. This is useful for simplifying the equations of motion for a system and can also reveal underlying symmetries.

2. How is a canonical transformation different from a coordinate transformation?

A canonical transformation is a specific type of coordinate transformation that preserves the symplectic structure of the system, while a general coordinate transformation does not necessarily do so. This means that a canonical transformation preserves the fundamental equations of motion and the energy conservation law, while a general coordinate transformation may not.

3. What is the importance of canonical transformations in physics?

Canonical transformations are important in physics because they allow us to simplify the equations of motion for a system and reveal underlying symmetries. This can make complex problems more manageable and help us understand the fundamental structure of a system.

4. How are canonical transformations used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, canonical transformations are used to transform the equations of motion for a system into a form that is more suitable for solving the Schrödinger equation. This can help simplify calculations and reveal important symmetries in a quantum system.

5. What are some common examples of canonical transformations?

Some common examples of canonical transformations include the transformation from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, and the transformation from position and momentum coordinates to action-angle coordinates. These transformations can help simplify the equations of motion for systems with rotational or periodic motion, respectively.