Canonical transformation for Harmonic oscillator

In summary, we discussed the transformation from (x,p) to (Q,P) and its conditions for being canonical. We also applied the transformation to the harmonic oscillator, finding that a=-\frac{1}{2b}. However, there were some uncertainties surrounding setting am=-1 and solving the resulting differential equations. The first DE can be solved by using a trigonometric substitution.
aaaa202
Find under what conditions the transformation from (x,p) to (Q,P) is canonical when the transformation equations are:
Q = ap/x , P=bx2
And apply the transformation to the harmonic oscillator.
I did the first part and found a = -1/2b
I am unsure about the next part tho:
We have the hamiltonian in (x,p):
H = 1/2m(p2+(m[itex]\omega[/itex]x)2 , [itex]\omega[/itex]2=k/m
So transforming to (Q,P) whilst setting am=-1 you get the nice equation:
H = P(Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2)
Should I now use hamiltons equation in the new coordinate basis, i.e.;
dH/dP = Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2 = dQ/dt
dH/dQ = 2QP = -dP/dt
And solve these differential equations for Q,P and transform back? I think so but these equations are just not very easu. I mean the second one is easy to do by means of substitution but really the first one is just a mess. What is the smartest way to do this? I can't really get the first one solved.

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Find under what conditions the transformation from (x,p) to (Q,P) is canonical when the transformation equations are:
Q = ap/x , P=bx2
And apply the transformation to the harmonic oscillator.
I did the first part and found a = -1/2b

Do you mean [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2b}[/itex], or [itex]a=-\frac{1}{2}b[/itex]? Brackets are important! :wink:

I am unsure about the next part tho:
We have the hamiltonian in (x,p):
H = 1/2m(p2+(m[itex]\omega[/itex]x)2 , [itex]\omega[/itex]2=k/m

Again, brackets are needed if you meant [itex]H=\frac{1}{2m}\left(p^2+(m\omega x)^2\right)[/itex]

So transforming to (Q,P) whilst setting am=-1 you get the nice equation:
H = P(Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2)

(1) Why are you setting am=-1?
(2) You don't get that when you set am=-1

Without setting am=-1, you should get [itex]H=-\frac{1}{4m}PQ^2 -am\omega^2P[/itex]

Should I now use hamiltons equation in the new coordinate basis, i.e.;
dH/dP = Q2+[itex]\omega[/itex]2 = dQ/dt
dH/dQ = 2QP = -dP/dt
And solve these differential equations for Q,P and transform back? I think so but these equations are just not very easu. I mean the second one is easy to do by means of substitution but really the first one is just a mess. What is the smartest way to do this? I can't really get the first one solved.

The second DE is only easy to solve once you know Q. The first one is seperable, so al that is needed is some striaghtforward integration... try a trig substitution if you are stuck on the integration part

Related to Canonical transformation for Harmonic oscillator

What is a canonical transformation?

A canonical transformation is a mathematical transformation that preserves the fundamental structure of a physical system, such as the Hamiltonian equations of motion, while changing the coordinates and momenta of the system.

Why is a canonical transformation useful for the Harmonic oscillator?

A canonical transformation for the Harmonic oscillator can simplify the equations of motion and reveal new symmetries or conserved quantities. It can also help to find solutions to the equations of motion and better understand the behavior of the system.

How do you perform a canonical transformation for the Harmonic oscillator?

A canonical transformation for the Harmonic oscillator involves changing the coordinates and momenta of the system using a generating function. The new coordinates and momenta are then plugged into the Hamiltonian to obtain a new Hamiltonian that preserves the equations of motion.

What are some common generating functions used for canonical transformations?

Some common generating functions for canonical transformations include the exponential generating function, the linear generating function, and the quadratic generating function. These functions can be used to transform the coordinates and momenta in different ways and lead to different forms of the new Hamiltonian.

What are the applications of a canonical transformation for the Harmonic oscillator?

A canonical transformation for the Harmonic oscillator has various applications in physics, such as in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It can also be used to study other physical systems that exhibit similar behavior to the Harmonic oscillator, such as simple pendulums and mass-spring systems.