Canonical ensemble, entropy of a classical gas

In summary, the equation Z=1/N!h3N∫∫d3qid3pie-βH(q,p) can be used to calculate the entropy and specific heat of a classical gas of N identical, noninteracting atoms in equilibrium at a temperature T, with an internal degree of freedom with energies 0 and ε. The partition function, Z, can be written as a sum over all possible configurations, and the probability of a single state can be obtained from this equation. The entropy can then be calculated using the formula S = -kB Ʃ P ln P, and the specific heat can be calculated using the formula C_v = -β2 ∂/∂β (1/β ln Z).
hansbahia

Homework Statement

I have the equation
Z=1/N!h3N∫∫d3qid3pie-βH(q,p)

How can I get the entropy from this equation assuming a classical gas of N identical, noninteracting atoms inside a volume V in equilibrium at T where it has an internal degree of freedom with energies 0 and ε
What about the specific heat at constant volume Cv?
Can anyone explain the equation?

Homework Equations

Z=1/N!h3N∫∫d3qid3pie-βH(q,p)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I integrated the momentum and the volume separately. At the end I did get PV=NRT where I'm supposed to show that from this equation I can derive to the ideal gas law equation
∫d3q=VN=Vn/N!
∫d3p=0

However by using Z equation I can derive the entropy for this problem, how?
what about specific heat?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lets say the partition function is Z = Ʃ e-βH where the sum runs over all possible configurations (it's a path integral or whatever). Then the probability of a single state is P = e-βH / Z. The entropy is defined as usual, S = -kB Ʃ P ln P where sum is again over all states. Using this knowledge, you should be able to show that S = -β2 ∂/∂β (1/β ln Z).

As for the actual calculation, remember that the Hamiltonian of classical gas molecules is Hi = pi2/2m. Also take into account the extra degree of freedom by adding an extra factor into the Hamiltonian (and sum over all possibilities again). Finally, remember that since your particles are not interacting, the partition function should simplify into a direct product of N single particle systems
[tex] Z_1 = \int d^3p d^3q \sum_{\epsilon} \exp(-\beta H_1(p,q,\epsilon)) [/tex]
[tex] Z_N = \frac{1}{N!} Z_1^N [/tex]

Related to Canonical ensemble, entropy of a classical gas

1. What is the canonical ensemble in statistical mechanics?

The canonical ensemble is a statistical ensemble used to describe a system with a fixed number of particles, fixed volume, and fixed temperature. It allows us to determine the probability distribution of a system's energy states at a given temperature.

2. How is the canonical ensemble different from other ensembles?

The canonical ensemble differs from other ensembles in that it assumes a fixed temperature, rather than a fixed energy or fixed chemical potential. This makes it useful for studying systems in thermal equilibrium.

3. What is the entropy of a classical gas in the canonical ensemble?

The entropy of a classical gas in the canonical ensemble is given by the Boltzmann formula: S = kB lnΩ, where kB is the Boltzmann constant and Ω is the number of microstates (possible configurations) of the gas at a given energy and temperature.

4. How does the entropy of a classical gas change with temperature in the canonical ensemble?

The entropy of a classical gas increases with temperature in the canonical ensemble. As the temperature increases, the gas has more available energy states and therefore more possible configurations, leading to a higher entropy.

5. Can the canonical ensemble be used for systems in non-equilibrium states?

No, the canonical ensemble is only applicable for systems in thermal equilibrium. For systems in non-equilibrium states, other ensembles such as the microcanonical or grand canonical ensemble must be used.