Cannot understand author fully - Turbomachines

In summary, the author of the book "Fundamental Energy Systems" discusses the rate of change in head for a turbomachine, which can be represented by the equation $H = \frac{1}{2}[(V_1^2-V_2^2)+(U_1^2-U_2^2)+(V_{R2}^2-V_{R1}^2)]$. He also mentions the static effect, given by $SE =(U_1^2-U_2^2)+(V_{R2}^2-V_{R1}^2)$. However, there is some confusion regarding the author's notation of $R = SE/H$, as it does not align with the previously mentioned
SebastianRM
Homework Statement
The author says, the reaction is the ratio of SE to H. So I interpret that as R = SE/H ; however, when looking at his working, he writes R = SE/2H.
Relevant Equations
I understand how he derives the R expression; however, his wording throws me off as it does not match mathematically what he states. Hope this is clear. Kind regards.
I am reading a book of Fundamental Energy Systems.
The author describes the rate of change in head for a turbomachine as:

$$ \frac{1}{2}[(V_1^2-V_2^2)+(U_1^2-U_2^2)+(V_{R2}^2-V_{R1}^2)] = H =U_1V_{u1} - U_2V_{u2} $$
and the static effect as:
$$SE =(U_1^2-U_2^2)+(V_{R2}^2-V_{R1}^2) $$

However he says:

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.10.38 AM.png

His wording states $ R = SE/H $. But he actually wrote it as we see above:
$$ R = \frac{SE}{2H} = \frac{(1/2)SE}{(1/2)2H} = \frac{(1/2)SE}{H} $$

I tried deriving his result from $ R = SE/H $ but it was not possible, I just want to make sure my conclusion is correct (R = (0.5*SE)/H ; instead of R = SE/H ) as the author does not seem to mind his own wording.

Thanks for illustrating me.

Physics news on Phys.org
As it turns out the static effect = 1/2 (Term sum). Which fixes all issues. The author did not say this explicitly so I misinterpreted him.

Likes berkeman

Related to Cannot understand author fully - Turbomachines

1. What are turbomachines?

Turbomachines are mechanical devices that transfer energy between a rotor and a fluid, such as air or water. These machines are used in various industries, such as aviation, power generation, and transportation.

2. Why is it difficult to fully understand the author's explanation of turbomachines?

Understanding turbomachines requires a strong background in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and mechanical engineering. The author's explanation may also use complex mathematical equations and technical terminology, making it challenging for non-experts to comprehend.

3. What are the different types of turbomachines?

There are three main types of turbomachines: turbines, compressors, and pumps. Turbines convert the energy of a fluid into mechanical energy, while compressors and pumps increase the pressure of a fluid.

4. How do turbomachines work?

Turbomachines work by using a rotating blade or rotor to transfer energy from a fluid to a mechanical system or vice versa. The fluid enters the machine and is accelerated by the rotor, causing a change in pressure and velocity. This energy transfer can be used for various purposes, such as generating power or propelling an aircraft.

5. What are some real-world applications of turbomachines?

Turbomachines have a wide range of applications in industries such as aviation, power generation, and oil and gas. They are used in jet engines, gas turbines, wind turbines, and hydroelectric power plants, among others. They are also used in pumps for water distribution and in compressors for refrigeration and air conditioning systems.