Cannot see the milky way in dublin?

• Thread starter gttjohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    milky way
In summary, despite never having seen the Milky Way in person, the speaker has seen many amazing pictures of it and wonders if it is only visible at certain times or latitudes due to light and air pollution. Other participants in the conversation suggest finding a dark, high location away from cities and providing resources for finding suitable spots. Some also mention having seen the Milky Way in less polluted areas.
gttjohn
i have been to the mountains and been to the beach lots of times looking up at the sky away from the city lights ,but i have never seen the milky way .i have seen lots of amazing pictures of it on the net from other places around the world .Then is it only possible to see it at certain times of the year or certain latitudes ,thanks for reading

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Light pollution and air pollution make it hard to see. Best places are high in mountains, far from any cities. I have seen it in many places in Poland, so if you will be able to find a good place in Ireland, as it is a similar latitude, you should be able to see it as well.

In the UK the night sky never gets dark enough to get a really good view in May June or July. You should be able to see it on cloudless moonless nights for the rest of the year, but you need to wait several hours after sunset (or before sunrise) to get a really dark sky.

FWIW the best view I have seen was from an island off the west coast of Scotland, at abut midnight in September, so your latitude is certainly not a problem.

It's not a stand-out sight in any event. If you're older you may have to use your near-peripheral vision to see it. If you're young it should be easy to spot directly.

You can try to use images from this website to locate areas near you with less man-made light:

http://www.darksky.org/

Bobbywhy said:
You can try to use images from this website to locate areas near you with less man-made light:

Can you point us to the exact page showing European skies?

thank you very much all for the replies and links very helpful indeed it seems i live in the centre of a very light polluted area but if i travel west should help me ,now planning a camping trip !

Antiphon said:
It's not a stand-out sight in any event. If you're older you may have to use your near-peripheral vision to see it. If you're young it should be easy to spot directly.

you have got to be joking ? what part of the world are you in ?

maybe you need to move to the Southern Hemisphere ;) where the milky way is stunning from a dark sky site

cheers
Dave

I lived in Amazonia for 9 years. On moonless nights we could walk across the savanna with ONLY the light from the heavenly stars, including the the Milky Way, to light up our path. Talk about "stand out"! It is brilliant under those (dark) conditions!

There is probably too much of an overcast. Many more stars are visible in the desert.

dimensionless said:
There is probably too much of an overcast. Many more stars are visible in the desert.

Not overcast, just light pollution.

Drakkith said:
Not overcast, just light pollution.

I would say both - air in large cities is always full of aerosols, they obscure the visibility and make a perfect nucleation sites for water vapor. In effect they disperse the light from the ground, making effects of the light pollution much worse.

Perhaps technically this is not an overcast (as that means sky is completely invisible), but kind of a fog?

Borek said:
Perhaps technically this is not an overcast (as that means sky is completely invisible), but kind of a fog?

I would not classify it as overcast. To me it means it's cloudy. But to each his own I suppose.

Astronomy forecasts consider cloud cover and transparency to be completely separate issues, though obviously a cloud covered sky will be opaque: www.cleardarksky.com

Related to Cannot see the milky way in dublin?

1. Why can't I see the Milky Way in Dublin?

There are several reasons why you cannot see the Milky Way in Dublin. One of the main reasons is light pollution. The city lights and other sources of artificial light in Dublin create a bright glow in the sky, making it difficult to see faint objects like the Milky Way. Additionally, Dublin is located in a region with a high level of atmospheric pollution, which further reduces visibility of stars and other celestial objects.

2. Is there a specific time of year when the Milky Way is visible in Dublin?

Yes, the Milky Way is typically visible in Dublin during the summer months, from late June to early August. During this time, the Earth's position in its orbit brings us closer to the center of our galaxy, making the Milky Way more visible in the night sky. However, other factors such as weather conditions and moon phases can also affect visibility.

3. Can I see the Milky Way from within the city of Dublin?

It is very difficult to see the Milky Way from within the city of Dublin due to light pollution. However, if you are in a dark and unobstructed area within the city, such as a park or rooftop, you may be able to catch a glimpse of it on a clear night with minimal light pollution.

4. Is it possible to see the Milky Way from outside of Dublin?

Yes, it is possible to see the Milky Way from outside of Dublin. If you travel to a more remote and dark location, such as a national park or rural area, you will have a better chance of seeing the Milky Way. It is also recommended to check for optimal viewing conditions, such as a new moon and clear skies.

5. Can I use a telescope or binoculars to see the Milky Way in Dublin?

No, using a telescope or binoculars will not help you see the Milky Way in Dublin. These tools are designed for viewing distant objects, and the Milky Way is not a single object but rather a collection of many stars and other objects. The best way to view the Milky Way is with the naked eye in a dark and clear location.