Cannon Velocity after firing Cannonball

In summary, the problem is solved by setting the initial momentum equal to the final momentum and solving for the velocity of the cannon. Using this method, the velocity of the cannon after firing the cannonball is calculated to be 3.125 m/s backwards.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

A stationary 2000 Kg cannon fires a 25 kg cannonball horizontally at 250 m/s. Find the velocity of the cannon after firing the cannonball . You may assume friction is negligible.

Homework Equations

M1V1+M2V2=(M1+M2)V'

The Attempt at a Solution

(25)(250)+ (2000)(0)= (2000+25)V'
V'=(25)(250)/(2025)
V'=3.086 m/s

I just need confirmation as I am not 100% positive with my physics... thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Why 2025?
I would write:
momentum before shot = momentum after shot
0 = mv + MV
0 = 25*250 + 2000*V

The total momentum of the situation before the firing is zero. This means that after the firing, the total must remain at zero. Find the momentum of the cannonball once it has been fired. The cannon must have equal momentum in the opposite direction for momentum to be conserved at zero kgm/s

i.e:

Before: (2000*0)+(25*0) = 0

After: (2000*V)-(25*250) = 0, or 2000V = 6250

Taking the cannons velocity to be positive, and the motion of the cannonball in the other direction to be negative. Should be trivial to solve from there (3.125 m/s).

Delphi51 said:
Why 2025?
I would write:
momentum before shot = momentum after shot
0 = mv + MV
0 = 25*250 + 2000*V

LOL because my understanding of momentum is limited.. this makes much more sense and gives a velocity backwards which is consistent.

Thanks!

Most welcome! It pays to write the general principle down, perhaps highly abbreviated, to orient yourself and your readers. I used to be too brief but had to change when I became a school teacher. Students couldn't understand unless I wrote the whole story.

Related to Cannon Velocity after firing Cannonball

1. What factors affect the velocity of a cannonball after it is fired?

The velocity of a cannonball after it is fired is affected by several factors including the initial force applied to the cannonball, the weight of the cannonball, the angle of the cannon's barrel, and the air resistance or drag on the cannonball as it travels through the air.

2. How does the angle of the cannon's barrel affect the velocity of the cannonball?

The angle of the cannon's barrel can greatly affect the velocity of the cannonball. When the cannon is fired at a higher angle, the cannonball will have a greater vertical velocity, but a lower horizontal velocity. Conversely, when the cannon is fired at a lower angle, the cannonball will have a higher horizontal velocity and a lower vertical velocity.

3. Does the weight of the cannonball affect its velocity after it is fired?

Yes, the weight of the cannonball does affect its velocity after it is fired. A heavier cannonball will require more force to be fired at the same velocity as a lighter cannonball. This is due to the conservation of momentum, where the force applied to the cannonball must be equal to the mass of the cannonball multiplied by its velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect the velocity of a cannonball after it is fired?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect the velocity of a cannonball after it is fired. As the cannonball travels through the air, it experiences the force of air resistance which acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can slow down the cannonball and decrease its velocity.

5. Can the velocity of a cannonball be calculated using a specific formula?

Yes, the velocity of a cannonball can be calculated using the formula: V = √(2gh), where V is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the cannon. However, this formula assumes ideal conditions and does not take into account factors such as air resistance or the angle of the cannon's barrel.