Cannon fired from moving truck

In summary: It seems like there are two different methods being used to find the optimal angle for the cannon to achieve maximum distance in the x-direction. The first method uses a 45-45-90 triangle and solves for the angle of the x-h triangle, which gives an angle of 49 degrees. The second method uses calculus and involves finding the zero of a derivative equation, which gives an angle of 46.9 degrees. The person asking the question believes the calculus method is more accurate because it takes into account the added x-velocity of the cannonball. However, another person in the conversation argues that maximum horizontal range is always achieved at 45 degrees. There is some disagreement about the assumptions and accuracy of both methods.
esmikell
Hello everyone,

I have a physics question for you all. A cannon fired from a truck at 5m/s. A cannon is fired in the same direction as the cannon. The velocity of the projectile is 50m/s. What angle will provide the greatest (distance in the x-driection) range for the projectile.

I have gotten two solution.
Using triangles and that both have the same maximum height the best angle is 49 degrees.

Using calculus we have come with a best angle of 46.9 degrees.

Which is best and why? I believe it is calculus because the calculus version is assuming the cannon fired at the non-45 degrees will have a higher altitude. Therefore ruining the triangles method.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by using "triangles". Clearly at least one of these methods must be wrong if they get different answers, so they must be based on different assumptions. Describe both solutions.

The triangles method uses a 45-45-90. From the top angle drop a line down to the base leg. The left side is 5 and the other is x. The side in common is h, the maximum height. Since this is a 45-45-90, the 5+x side is equal to the h. There is enough variables equal to each other that the angle in the x-h triangle can be found to be 49 degrees.

However, change it to using the x=vt equation and things change. Since we are giving the projectile the extra x-velocity I wrote the velocity in the x-direction to be:

vx= vtruck+vcos(theta) v=the velocity of the projectile

x=(vtruck+vcos(theta)t

I want to do a derivative on theta and find the zero to get the max distance. So I need to get rid of t.

t is found using vf=vi+at. All of this in the y-direction

t=2vsin(theta)/g again v is projectile velocity

So after some substitutions, cleaning up, taking a derivative and getting a sin^2 and a cos^2, I found an equation with thetas hard to pull out.

I put the equation into excel and forced angles into the equation until my derivative equation hit zero, therefore, showing me the angle that creates the maximum distance.

This method gives 46.9 as theta.

I hope this clears up what I was asking. Thank you for your time.

Stephen

esmikell said:
The triangles method uses a 45-45-90. From the top angle drop a line down to the base leg. The left side is 5 and the other is x. The side in common is h, the maximum height. Since this is a 45-45-90, the 5+x side is equal to the h. There is enough variables equal to each other that the angle in the x-h triangle can be found to be 49 degrees.
Since the trajectory of the cannonball is not a triangle, this method doesn't make any sense to me.

However, change it to using the x=vt equation and things change. Since we are giving the projectile the extra x-velocity I wrote the velocity in the x-direction to be:

vx= vtruck+vcos(theta) v=the velocity of the projectile

x=(vtruck+vcos(theta)t

I want to do a derivative on theta and find the zero to get the max distance. So I need to get rid of t.

t is found using vf=vi+at. All of this in the y-direction

t=2vsin(theta)/g again v is projectile velocity

So after some substitutions, cleaning up, taking a derivative and getting a sin^2 and a cos^2, I found an equation with thetas hard to pull out.

I put the equation into excel and forced angles into the equation until my derivative equation hit zero, therefore, showing me the angle that creates the maximum distance.

This method gives 46.9 as theta.
Looks good to me. Just for the challenge of it, try to solve for theta analytically. (Express that last equation completely in terms of cosines. You'll get a quadratic that you should be able to solve easily. You'll get the same answer of course.)

Good morning,

Thanks for looking into it. I will see what I can do with the cos's.

Stephen

First of all, maximum horizontal projectile range is always 45 degrees.

Second, the horizontal range is given by (v^2/g) Sin 2(theta)...

these can be derived from x (range) =vt cos(theta)

and y (vertical) = vtsin(theta) - 1/2 gt^2

and of course "t" time of flight is the same for both x and y...

Max range is always at 45 when you projectile is launched from an object that is not moving in the x-direction.

If you fire a cannon that is on a railcar moving with a velocity, a 45 degree cannon will not give a max range. Since there is already a x-velocity you can then steal some x-velocity from the cannon and give it to the y-velocity; therefore, giving it more time in air; therefore, more time to run in the x-direction.

Naty1 said:
First of all, maximum horizontal projectile range is always 45 degrees.

Second, the horizontal range is given by (v^2/g) Sin 2(theta)...
Only for a fixed speed (v), which is not the case here. (The speed of the cannonball with respect to the ground depends upon the angle.)

esmikell said:
Hello everyone,

I have a physics question for you all. A cannon fired from a truck at 5m/s. A cannon is fired in the same direction as the cannon. The velocity of the projectile is 50m/s. What angle will provide the greatest (distance in the x-driection) range for the projectile.
Can we assume that you mean the TRUCK is moving at 5 m/s and that the cannon is fired in the same direction as the truck is moving?

I don't get "49" or "46.9" degrees. I get approximately 45.17 degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Can we assume that you mean the TRUCK is moving at 5 m/s and that the cannon is fired in the same direction as the truck is moving?
Yes. And that the cannonball speed is 50 m/s with respect to the truck.
I don't get "49" or "46.9" degrees. I get approximately 45.17 degrees.
Do it over. :wink:

Hello HallsofIvy,

The cannon is on the truck. The truck is moving at 5m/s, let's say moving to the east. The cannon is fired with an unknown angle. The projectile has a velocity of 50 m/s at the unknown angle. The cannon is fired in the east direction.

just add 5 ms/sec cos(theta) and 5m/s sine (theta) to the fifty m/s to determine total projectile speed...for altitude or range or whatever you want to play with...the projectile doesn't know if the cannon is moving or if it has a slightly bigger charge...

The velocity vector for the projectile on a moving railcar, truck, whatever is going to be

v = [5+vcos(theta)]i + [vsin(theta)]j

The 5m/s is added to the i component (x-dir). You can't go and add 5m/s to the y-dir.

Related to Cannon fired from moving truck

1. How does a cannon fired from a moving truck work?

The cannon is fired by gunpowder igniting and pushing the cannonball out of the cannon's barrel. The truck's movement does not directly affect the cannon's firing mechanism, but it can impact the trajectory and accuracy of the cannonball.

2. What is the impact of firing a cannon from a moving truck?

The impact of firing a cannon from a moving truck can vary depending on the speed and direction of the truck. The cannonball's trajectory will be affected by the truck's movement, potentially altering its intended target. Additionally, the recoil from the cannon's firing could also impact the truck's stability and handling.

3. Can a cannon be fired from any type of moving truck?

In theory, a cannon can be fired from any type of moving truck as long as the truck is sturdy enough to withstand the recoil and the cannon is securely mounted and aimed properly. However, it is not recommended to fire a cannon from a moving truck without proper training and safety precautions.

4. Are there any safety concerns when firing a cannon from a moving truck?

Yes, there are several safety concerns to consider when firing a cannon from a moving truck. The recoil from the cannon's firing can affect the truck's stability and handling, potentially causing accidents. Additionally, the cannonball's trajectory may not be predictable and could potentially cause harm or damage to bystanders or property.

5. What are the benefits of firing a cannon from a moving truck?

Firing a cannon from a moving truck can add an element of surprise and unpredictability to military tactics or historical reenactments. It can also demonstrate the capabilities of a well-trained and coordinated team in terms of accuracy and coordination. However, it should only be done with proper training, safety measures, and consideration for any potential risks or hazards.