Can Zero Force Members Be Ignored in Structural Analysis?

Since they are colinear at point J and I respectively, they do not contribute any forces to the structure. Therefore, they can be ignored when analyzing forces at those points. In summary, when determining zero force members, any member that is colinear at a point can be eliminated and ignored in the analysis.
jghlee

Homework Statement

So when it comes to finding the zero force members, am I correct in assuming that any member previously eliminated will cease to act as a member for a point?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/603/47362170.th.jpg

so for example we know that IJ is a zero force member because when we view it via point, J, it's obvious that there's 2 colinear members and the third is an extra. But if we now move to point I, can I essentially delete IJ and completely ignore that it's there? so that I can get another situation where there's 2 colinear members and and the third extra (IL)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct, both IJ and IL are zero force members (there are others also).

I cannot provide a direct answer to a homework question. However, I can offer some guidance and suggestions to help you understand the concept of zero force members and how to identify them.

Firstly, it is important to understand that zero force members are structural members that do not experience any internal forces when a load is applied to the structure. This means that they do not contribute to the overall stability or strength of the structure.

To identify zero force members, you can use the method of sections or the method of joints. In the method of sections, you cut the structure along a section and analyze the forces acting on the cut members. If a member has no forces acting on it, it is a zero force member.

In the method of joints, you analyze the forces acting at each joint of the structure. If a joint has only two members connected to it and they are colinear, then the third member is a zero force member.

In the example given, you correctly identified IJ as a zero force member because it is colinear with two other members at point J. However, at point I, you cannot simply delete IJ and ignore it. Instead, you should analyze the forces at point I using the method of joints to determine if IJ is a zero force member.

I hope this helps you understand the concept of zero force members and how to identify them. Remember, it is important to carefully analyze the forces at each point of the structure to accurately identify zero force members.

Related to Can Zero Force Members Be Ignored in Structural Analysis?

What is a zero force member?

A zero force member is a structural member in a truss or frame that experiences no internal forces or stresses, even when the structure is loaded. This means that the member does not contribute to the overall strength or stability of the structure and can be removed without affecting its structural integrity.

How do you identify a zero force member?

A zero force member can be identified by looking at the forces acting on the joints connected by the member. If there are equal and opposite forces acting on both ends of the member, or if the member is connected to two other zero force members, then it is a zero force member.

Why are zero force members important to consider in structural analysis?

Zero force members are important to consider in structural analysis because they can affect the overall stability and strength of a structure. If these members are not identified and removed, it can lead to incorrect analysis and design of the structure, potentially causing failure or unnecessary use of materials.

Is it possible to have a truss or frame with all zero force members?

Yes, it is possible to have a truss or frame with all zero force members. This is known as a zero force truss or frame, and it is a special case where the structure is statically determinate, meaning that the forces acting on each joint can be determined solely by the geometry of the structure. These types of structures are commonly used in bridge and roof designs.

How do zero force members affect the stability of a structure?

Zero force members do not contribute to the stability of a structure. However, if they are not identified and removed, they can affect the overall stability of the structure by adding unnecessary weight and potentially causing confusion in the analysis and design process. It is important to properly identify and remove zero force members to ensure the stability and safety of a structure.