Can you use multiple wires to wind a solenoid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between using a single piece of wire and using multiple strands of wire for an alternating solenoid coil. It is determined that using multiple strands is essentially the same as using a single strand, but it will require more wire and have more contact resistance at the power terminals. The generated magnetic field will only differ due to the resistance in the wire, and using multiple single coils stacked on top of each other is similar to using superconducting wire.
JackWallace
I am curious if an alternating solenoid coil needs to be wound with a single piece of wire from end to end, or - can each loop in the solenoid be made of a separate wire and stacked on top of the previous, as long as each termination is connected to the proper + / - terminal.

Essentially - is the field strength a function of the length of the wire - or simply the number of loops in the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
using multiple strands is no different to using a single strand of the same gauge wire as the combined gauge of the multiple strands

Dave

Thank you Davenn - though I think we are talking about two different things. I am referring to using each strand to initiate and terminate a single loop, then using another strand to make an identical single loop that will be stacked immediately on top of the first single loop.

Is this essentially the same as winding the full coil with a single or braided strand. Basically - the difference between a helical 'single' connected coil and a stack of loops.

It is the same thing. It's like stacking magnets. The difference would be in the length of wire needed to make the same amount of loops.

The resistance of your coil will be much lower. As long as your power source is of the correct voltage and current capacity it will work fine. It will not work fine in the same circuit that was designed for a series wound solenoid because it will draw too much current.

So, if I am understanding correctly - The generated magnetic field in these two examples will only differ due to the resistance in the wire.

i.e. - Multiple SINGLE coils stacked on top of each other represent something a little closer to the idea of using superconducting wire (higher current due to less resistance), than using a single piece of wire.

Is this correct?

JackWallace said:
So, if I am understanding correctly - The generated magnetic field in these two examples will only differ due to the resistance in the wire.

i.e. - Multiple SINGLE coils stacked on top of each other represent something a little closer to the idea of using superconducting wire (higher current due to less resistance), than using a single piece of wire.

Is this correct?

No; it will require more wire and also have more contact resistance at the power terminals. Given the same amount of wire, a single wire would be more efficient.

Likes 1 person
Understood - thank you for your reply.

Related to Can you use multiple wires to wind a solenoid?

1. Can you use any type of wire for winding a solenoid?

No, it is important to use a wire with a high electrical conductivity such as copper or silver. This ensures efficient transfer of electrical energy and prevents heating of the wire.

2. How many wires should be used to wind a solenoid?

The number of wires used will depend on the desired strength and size of the solenoid. Generally, a higher number of wires will result in a stronger magnetic field and a larger solenoid.

3. Is it necessary to use multiple layers of wire when winding a solenoid?

Yes, using multiple layers of wire helps to increase the number of turns and therefore the strength of the magnetic field. However, too many layers may cause the solenoid to overheat.

4. Can multiple wires be connected in series or parallel when winding a solenoid?

Yes, multiple wires can be connected in either series or parallel to achieve the desired number of turns and strength of the solenoid. Series connection will result in a stronger magnetic field, while parallel connection will increase the current flow and heating of the wire.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using multiple wires to wind a solenoid?

Yes, it is important to use insulated wires to prevent electrical shock and to handle the wires carefully to avoid injury from sharp edges. It is also recommended to use a power source with appropriate voltage and current limits to prevent overheating and damage to the wires.