Can You Use Logarithmic Differentiation to Solve for a Base 2 Function?

In summary, the conversation is about differentiating the logarithm of a base 2 function, specifically \log_2{(x^3+1)}, using the quotient rule. However, it is mentioned that the quotient rule is not necessary because ln2 is a constant. The conversation then turns to discussing the derivative of a constant multiple and the inclusion of ln2 in the denominator. It is also mentioned that the thread title should have been "logarithm('s) derivative" and one user changed their response due to the original post being modified.
huan.conchito
Can someone please differentiate this [itex] \!\(Log\\_2\[[x^3 + 1][/itex]
im stuck because its base 2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Remember that [tex]\log_a{x}=\frac{\log_b{x}}{\log_b{a}}[/tex]

so is this my next step? and then do i use quotient rule?
[tex]\log_2{(x^3+1)}=\frac{\ln{(x^3+1)}}{\ln{2}}[/tex]

You don't need the quotient rule because ln2 is a constant.

so is the the answer then?
[itex]3x^2/(x^3+1)[/itex]

He used the chain rule just fine.

He just forgot how to deal with a constant multiple. Hint: what's the derivative of 6 x^2?

ah, thanks
[itex]3x^2/(x^3+1)Ln2[/itex]

And [itex] \ln 2[/itex] should be there somewhere.In the denominator,to be precise.

And the thread title,to be accurate,should have been "logarithm('s) derivative"...

Daniel.

Hurkyl said:
He used the chain rule just fine.

I deleted my response because he changed his post before I submitted, or it displayed incorrectly on my browser.

Related to Can You Use Logarithmic Differentiation to Solve for a Base 2 Function?

What is logarithmic differentiation?

Logarithmic differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is in the form of a logarithm. It is particularly useful when the function is complicated and difficult to differentiate using traditional methods.

Why is logarithmic differentiation helpful?

Logarithmic differentiation allows us to simplify complex functions and make them easier to differentiate. It also enables us to find the derivative of functions that cannot be differentiated using traditional methods, such as functions with multiple variables or functions with a mix of algebraic and trigonometric terms.

What are the steps to perform logarithmic differentiation?

The steps to perform logarithmic differentiation are as follows:

1. Take the natural logarithm (ln) of both sides of the equation.
  2. Simplify the equation using logarithm rules.
  3. Apply the derivative to both sides of the equation.
  4. Use algebraic manipulation to solve for the derivative.

When should logarithmic differentiation be used?

Logarithmic differentiation is best used when the function is in the form of a logarithm or when the function contains multiple variables. It is also useful when the function is a product, quotient, or power of multiple functions.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using logarithmic differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using logarithmic differentiation include forgetting to take the natural logarithm, not using logarithm rules correctly, and not simplifying the equation before taking the derivative. It is also important to always check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying.