Can you use any USB cable on Ti89?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter superdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable Usb
In summary, the Ti89 calculator requires a specific type of USB cable called a mini-USB cable, which has a smaller end that plugs into the calculator and a larger end that plugs into a computer or power source. It is labeled as "mini-USB" and cannot be substituted with a regular phone charger. Using a USB cable from a different calculator may also cause damage, so it is best to purchase a designated mini-USB cable for the Ti89. These cables can be found at most electronic stores, online retailers, or from the manufacturer.
superdude
Hey guys,

I have a ti89 but I lost the USB cable that came with the calculator. I am trying to transfer some data to the calculator, but can I use any regular USB cable to do so? Thats what I read when I searched, but when I use the USB cable that came with my digital camera it says "TI 89 CONNECTED, BUT COULDNT GET STATUS". After it says that on the Device Explorer, the TI 89 screen shuts off.

Any suggestions? Should I try a different USB cable?

Computer science news on Phys.org

I would recommend using the USB cable specifically designed for the TI89 calculator. While it may be possible to transfer data using a regular USB cable, there is no guarantee that it will work properly. The TI89 USB cable is designed to work specifically with the calculator and may have different specifications and protocols than a regular USB cable. Trying a different USB cable may or may not work, but it is not a reliable solution. It is always best to use the recommended equipment for any device to ensure proper function and avoid potential issues.

Related to Can you use any USB cable on Ti89?

1. Can I use any USB cable on my Ti89 calculator?

No, the Ti89 calculator requires a specific type of USB cable called a mini-USB cable. Using any other type of USB cable may damage the calculator or cause it not to function properly.

2. How do I know if I have the correct USB cable for my Ti89 calculator?

The correct USB cable for the Ti89 calculator has a smaller end that plugs into the calculator, called a mini-USB, and a larger end that plugs into a computer or power source, called a standard USB. It may also have the label "mini-USB" on the smaller end.

3. Can I use a regular phone charger to charge my Ti89 calculator?

No, the Ti89 calculator requires a specific type of charger that is compatible with its mini-USB port. Using a regular phone charger may not provide the correct voltage and could potentially damage the calculator.

4. Can I use a USB cable from a different calculator on my Ti89?

No, even if the cable appears to be the correct size, using a USB cable from a different calculator may not be compatible with the Ti89 calculator. It is best to use the designated mini-USB cable for the Ti89 to avoid any potential damage.

5. Where can I purchase a mini-USB cable for my Ti89 calculator?

You can purchase a mini-USB cable for your Ti89 calculator at most electronic stores, online retailers, or directly from the manufacturer. It is important to make sure you are purchasing a cable specifically made for the Ti89 calculator to ensure compatibility.