Can you trap light indefinitely?

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, trapping light indefinitely is not possible due to practical constraints and the fact that no mirror is perfectly reflective. However, it is possible to slow down light and temporarily trap it using optical resonators or total internal reflection in optical fibers. Light from far away objects appears dim due to expansion, not decay. Trapping light in orbit around a massive object is not stable.
It is possible, but not as simple as trapping light with mirrors. First a box would never do, you need a sphere, Mirrors will never work, so we use energy to deflect the light, One could image it looking like a 3d David’s star, additionally the capsule or sphere in this case would have to be a bit more than a ball of mirrors, it would have to be surrounded by other elements and materials that protect the inner space of the sphere making it absolute neutral to all things, including radio, radiation, and air. capturing light would cause the sphere to reach extreme Temperatures, light can be captured indefinitely. It’s a pretty high tech thing :)

Science news on Phys.org
Pep said:
It is possible, but not as simple as trapping light with mirrors. First a box would never do, you need a sphere, Mirrors will never work, so we use energy to deflect the light, One could image it looking like a 3d David’s star, additionally the capsule or sphere in this case would have to be a bit more than a ball of mirrors, it would have to be surrounded by other elements and materials that protect the inner space of the sphere making it absolute neutral to all things, including radio, radiation, and air. capturing light would cause the sphere to reach extreme Temperatures, light can be captured indefinitely. It’s a pretty high tech thing :)
Not true. There is currently no way to trap light indefinitely. I'm sorry but your explanation just doesn't make any sense and doesn't seem to be grounded in actual physics.

Likes davenn
I asked this question when I was in 9th grade science and everyone acted like I was stupid.
I asked some other quetions where they acted the same way and a short time later I saw those ideas marketed.
To laugh at someone for asking a question is stupid, questions are how we got to where we are.
No question is a stupid question except the ones not asked.
Gee, all those other planets are round, do you suppose the Earth may also be round and not flat like we thought ?
haha ha, now your excommunicated for asking a question that doesn't follow the known supposition. rrrr