Can you tell the Physical Properties of a Messier Object?

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical properties of Messier objects, such as M1 and M42, and whether they can be determined from their names. The speaker explains that the list was compiled at a time when the concept of galaxies was not understood, and the objects were simply referred to as 'nebulae'. There is no specific order to the list, making it difficult to memorize. The conversation ends with the advice to remember that the first 45 M objects are generally brighter than the rest.
Atominate
Can you tell any physical properties of a Messier object by its name, such as M1 or M42? I know this may sound like a silly question, but I am doing an Astronomy GCSE and I thought that maybe there was a better way of just looking it up online and remembering it.
Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, you can't. The list was compiled at a time when nobody even had an idea what a galaxy is, so all those objects were just 'nebulae' (or, as Messier would probably explain to you: 'not comets'). If you look at the list of Messier objects, there's just no order to it: type, place in the sky, brightness, distance - all jump around pretty much randomly.

I hope they're not expecting you to memorize all of them?

Likes davenn
Thanks. I was just wondering if there was an easier way.

Bandersnatch said:
I hope they're not expecting you to memorize all of them?

Ha! I sure hope not!

One simple rule of thumb, though: the first 45 M objects are generally brighter than the rest.

Related to Can you tell the Physical Properties of a Messier Object?

1. What are the physical properties of a Messier Object?

The physical properties of a Messier Object can vary greatly depending on the specific object. However, some common physical properties that can be observed include size, mass, shape, composition, temperature, and density.

2. How are the physical properties of a Messier Object determined?

The physical properties of a Messier Object are typically determined through various observational techniques such as telescopes, spectroscopy, and imaging. These observations can help scientists determine the size, mass, and composition of the object.

3. Are the physical properties of a Messier Object constant?

No, the physical properties of a Messier Object can change over time. For example, some objects may experience changes in temperature or composition due to interactions with other objects or events such as supernovae.

4. How do the physical properties of a Messier Object affect its behavior?

The physical properties of a Messier Object can greatly impact its behavior. For example, the mass and composition of an object can determine its gravitational pull and interactions with other objects, while its temperature can affect its emission of light and radiation.

5. Can the physical properties of a Messier Object be used to classify it?

Yes, the physical properties of a Messier Object are often used to classify it into different categories such as stars, galaxies, or nebulae. These categories are based on the object's observable physical characteristics and can provide insight into its formation and behavior.