Can you stable out a 12v dc pulse?

In summary, the speaker is attempting to use a 12v magneto as a power supply for their go kart's turn signals and brake light. They are considering using a diode and capacitor to convert the magneto's pulses into a steady stream of DC current. They also mention using a timer circuit to control the blinker speed and wanting to use LEDs instead of tungsten lamps. The speaker suggests using a battery charger coil and bridge rectifier with a large capacitor to achieve their desired result, citing 1950's British motorcycle enthusiasts who used this technique to avoid needing a battery. They recommend researching how a magneto works for more information.
pickerguy
Hey guys. I made myself a pulse circuit but my power supply failed.
Now I need a way to use a 12v magneto as a power supply.
But a magneto puts out pulses. Can I put a capacitor or a diode there to make it a steady stream of dc current?

This is for my go kart 5hp briggs. for turn signal and brake light

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are your turn signals tungsten lamps or LEDs? Is there any reason pulses won't work? Yes you can use a diode and capacitor very effectively.

skeptic2 said:
Are your turn signals tungsten lamps or LEDs? Is there any reason pulses won't work? Yes you can use a diode and capacitor very effectively.

edit: id like to still use Leds and my timer circuit to get the blinker speed correct and use the magneto as the power scource

Last edited:
skeptic2 said:

LEDs still sorry wasnt thinking straight

look at the battery charger coil on any electric start lawnmower engine.

one of those plus a bridge rectifier and huge capacitor will do what you want. 1950's British motorcycle guys used this technique to avoid having a battery. look up how a magneto works...

pickerguy said:
Hey guys. I made myself a pulse circuit but my power supply failed.
Now I need a way to use a 12v magneto as a power supply.
For what purpose was this magneto, originally? What information does it provide on the plate?

Related to Can you stable out a 12v dc pulse?

1. Can you explain what a 12v dc pulse is?

A 12v dc pulse refers to a direct current (dc) signal that has a voltage level of 12 volts (v). It is a short burst of electrical energy that flows in one direction.

2. How can you stabilize a 12v dc pulse?

There are a few ways to stabilize a 12v dc pulse depending on the application. One common method is to use a voltage regulator, which is a device that maintains a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load. Another method is to use a low-pass filter, which smooths out the pulse by removing high frequency components.

3. What factors can cause fluctuations in a 12v dc pulse?

Fluctuations in a 12v dc pulse can be caused by variations in the power source, changes in the load, or external interference. These fluctuations can be problematic for sensitive electronic devices and may need to be stabilized or filtered out.

4. Can you provide an example of when stabilizing a 12v dc pulse is necessary?

Stabilizing a 12v dc pulse is necessary in many electronic applications, such as in power supplies, motor control systems, and communication devices. For example, in a motor control system, a stable 12v dc pulse is needed to ensure the motor runs smoothly and at a consistent speed.

5. Are there any risks associated with stabilizing a 12v dc pulse?

There are some risks associated with stabilizing a 12v dc pulse, such as overloading the voltage regulator or low-pass filter if the input voltage or load changes too quickly. It is important to carefully select and design the stabilizing components to avoid these risks and ensure the stability of the pulse.