Can You Solve This Trigonometry Problem Involving Equal Sides and Angles?

• Thread starter Johnny Leong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, by using the fact that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are congruent, we can determine that angle EBC is 30 degrees. From there, the rest of the angles in the bottom triangle can be found, making the problem relatively easy to solve. By setting up equations based on the given information and using the fact that the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is 180 degrees, we can determine the measure of angle AEB.
Johnny Leong
In the figure, EA=EB=EC and AB = 200 m. Angle BCA = 30 degrees. Find angle AEB. Anyone can help me?

Attachments

• triangle.GIF
    triangle.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Start it as a pure geometry problem - sketch the figure, and note that you have three isosceles triangles there. Given that the base angles of an isosceles triangle are congruent, you can find three pairs of congruent angles. Working with these angles (some of which overlap), it turns out to be relatively easy to figure out the measure of angle EBC. From there, the rest of the angles in the bottom triangle can be known. After that, the problem actually gets very easy.

Hope this helps.

I have tried but I am still in confusion. Would Diane give me more hints please?

Ok

Your three isosceles triangles are AEB, BEC, and AEC. Call the base angles for AEB x, the base angles for BEC y, and the base angles for AEC z. We know that the measure of ACB is 30, so from the diagram we can see that 30 + z = y. Again, from the diagram, the measure of CAB is x - z, and the sum of the interior angles of triangle ABC is, of course, 180. This gives us that x-z + x + y + 30 = 180, or 2x + y - z = 150.

Substitute the first relation into the second and you end up with a single equation in one unknown for x. This will tell you something about triangle EAB.

Try it from there. :)

Thank you very much for your help, Diane! I have solved the problem.

Related to Can You Solve This Trigonometry Problem Involving Equal Sides and Angles?

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles, as well as to model and analyze periodic phenomena such as sound waves and oscillating motions.

2. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-life applications, including in engineering, architecture, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It is used to calculate distances, heights, angles, and velocities, as well as to design structures and analyze motion and wave patterns.

3. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan). These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles, and can be used to find missing sides or angles in a triangle.

4. How do I solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, choose an appropriate trigonometric function based on the given information and set up an equation to solve for the unknown variable. Finally, use a calculator or trigonometric table to find the numerical value of the solution.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid in trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid in trigonometry include using the wrong trigonometric function, forgetting to convert angles from degrees to radians, using the inverse trigonometric function instead of the original function, and making sign errors. It is important to double check your work and use the correct formula for the given problem to avoid these mistakes.