Can You Solve This Set Theory and Binary Number Problem?

In summary, the question asks to prove that the function f defined as the mapping from the power set of a set with n elements to the set of binary numbers with n digits is a one-to-one correspondence. This means that for every element in the power set, there is a unique associated element in the set of binary numbers, and vice versa. The proof involves showing that for every subset of S, there is a unique binary number associated with it, and for every binary number, there is a unique subset of S associated with it.
bootleg1
Preparing for an upcoming midterm and this is one of the practice questions from an old test.

The Question:
Let X be a set with n elements, say S = {s1, s2,..., sn}
Let B be the set of binary numbers with n digits. That is, sequences of n terms, each
of which is 0 or 1.

Define f : P(S) --> B (power set of S) as follows: the image of X ∈ P(S) is the
binary sequence b1b2...bn where bi is the truth value of the statement bi ∈ X, for
i = 1, 2, ..., n.

Prove that f is a 1-1 correspondence.

My Work so far:

If A1 = A2 = An, there are n-try relation and A is a subset of An = A x A x ... x A = {(a1,, a2, ..., an) iai + A for each i = 1, ...,n}

Prove: that there are n-tuples.

I am not sure where to go from here, or if my work is heading in the right direction (Speechless)
Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
bootleg said:
Preparing for an upcoming midterm and this is one of the practice questions from an old test.

The Question:
Let X be a set with n elements, say S = {s1, s2,..., sn}
Let B be the set of binary numbers with n digits. That is, sequences of n terms, each
of which is 0 or 1.

Define f : P(S) --> B (power set of S) as follows: the image of X ∈ P(S) is the
binary sequence b1b2...bn where bi is the truth value of the statement bi ∈ X, for
i = 1, 2, ..., n.

Prove that f is a 1-1 correspondence.

My Work so far:

If A1 = A2 = An, there are n-try relation and A is a subset of An = A x A x ... x A = {(a1,, a2, ..., an) iai + A for each i = 1, ...,n}

Prove: that there are n-tuples.

I am not sure where to go from here, or if my work is heading in the right direction
Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to MHB, bootleg! :)

To prove a 1-1 relation, you need to prove that for every element in P(S) there is a unique associated element in B, and also that for every element in B there is a unique associated element in P(S).

If you take any subset of S, it determines a number in B uniquely, as per the definition of your f.
Each number in B consists of n values of either 0 or 1. If we construct a set with exactly those $s_i$ that have a corresponding 1 in the number from B, we get a unique set that is an element of P(S).
Therefore the relation is 1-1.

Related to Can You Solve This Set Theory and Binary Number Problem?

1. What is a tricky logic word problem?

A tricky logic word problem is a type of puzzle or brain teaser that requires the use of critical thinking and logical reasoning to solve. These problems often involve multiple steps and may have hidden clues or misleading information.

2. How do I approach a tricky logic word problem?

The best way to approach a tricky logic word problem is to first read the problem carefully and identify any key information or clues. Then, break the problem down into smaller steps and use logic and deduction to solve each step. Finally, check your work to make sure the solution makes sense.

3. What are some common strategies for solving tricky logic word problems?

Some common strategies for solving tricky logic word problems include creating a diagram or table to organize information, working backwards from the solution, and using process of elimination to rule out incorrect options.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving tricky logic word problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving tricky logic word problems is to practice regularly. You can also try challenging yourself with more difficult puzzles or seeking out different types of logic problems to expand your problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help me with tricky logic word problems?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with tricky logic word problems. These include books and websites with practice problems, online puzzle games, and apps specifically designed for improving logic and critical thinking skills.