Can You Solve This Challenging Functional Equation?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary: Following the given equation, to find f(x), we need to find the function such that f(x) is equal to x^2-x+1. However, this equation seems difficult to solve using traditional methods. One possible approach is to use the properties of fractional iteration, where the function is composed with itself a fractional number of times.Another approach is to use Kneser's method, which continues the function to the complex plane using Taylor series. This method could potentially lead to a series solution for the function.It is also interesting to note that the equation has no easy solution and cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However, there may be a way to continue the function in the same way as the half-exponential function, which
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
A few days ago on MMF the following question was posted with no one showing how to solve it so far:

Given:

$\displaystyle f(f(x))=x^2-x+1\, \forall x\in \mathbb{R}$

find $\displaystyle f(x)$.

I have never known how to solve such equations, except by trial and error, and this one has me stymied.

If someone could give me a nudge in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Check this wiki out under Formulae for Fractional Iteration, especially 6b, since it applies. The (sole) fixed point for the RHS is $x=1$, which is nice. You could at least get a series solution for the answer.

I don't think there are any closed from in terms of elementary function. Maybe you are interested in a somewhat different bu similar type : \(\displaystyle f(f(x)) = e^x\). \(\displaystyle f\) is called the half-exponential function and usually denoted by \(\displaystyle \mathrm{exp}^{[1/2]}(x)\). Interesting thing is that if we analytically continue this to the complex plane, then super-exponential too gets continued analytically in the same region! If you are interested, here is a link to a forum I am in and here is the Kneser's method which continues this to the complex region by taylor series : Kneser's Super Logarithm

Maybe somewhat similar can be done to continue it in the complex plane.

Ackbach said:
You could at least get a series solution for the answer.

Not necessarily. You have to specify the region of convergence of the series and analytically continue it in the region it can be and where the taylor series diverges. Furthermore, it's not obvious that such an expansion would be analytic!

Last edited:
Curious. All polynomials of the form:

$f(f(x)) = a_0 x^n + a_1 x^{n - 1} + \cdots + a_n$

Have trivial solutions for $n = m^2$, that is, a perfect square (just expand a generic polynomial of the $m$th degree and solve the resulting system of $n$ equations). Unfortunately, $2$ is not a perfect square, which leads me to believe there is no easy solution to this problem. This is very interesting, in fact, I'll need to look into it deeper. Thanks MarkFL for this!​

Yes, \(\displaystyle f(f(x))=x^2-x+1\) has no easy solution, in fact, not expressible in terms of elementary function as I can see. I strongly believe that we can continue it in the same way we do for half-exponential. I have managed to find a weak approximation which works nicely inside the semi-circle \(\displaystyle |z| = 2\) from the upper-half plane : \(\displaystyle f(x) = x^{\sqrt{2}} - x^{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}} + 1\).

Balarka

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
A few days ago on MMF the following question was posted with no one showing how to solve it so far:

Given:

$\displaystyle f(f(x))=x^2-x+1\, \forall x\in \mathbb{R}$

find $\displaystyle f(x)$.

I have never known how to solve such equations, except by trial and error, and this one has me stymied.

If someone could give me a nudge in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I propose a solution even if [honestly...] I'm not sure cent per cent on its correctness...

Let's write the unknown function as...

$\displaystyle f(x) = \int_{a}^{x} y(u)\ d u$ (1)

... where a is a constant that we leave undefined, so that is...

$\displaystyle \varphi(x) = f \{f(x)\} = \int_{a}^{x} y(u)\ \int_{a}^{u} y(v)\ d v\ du$ (2)

Deriving (2) we obtain first...

$\displaystyle \varphi^{\ '} (x) = y(x)\ \int_{a}^{x} y(v)\ d v$ (3)

... and after, deriving (3)...

$\displaystyle \varphi^{\ ' '} (x) = 2\ y(x)\ y^{\ '} (x) = 2$ (4)

... so that we arrive to write the ODE...

$\displaystyle y\ y^{\ '}= 1$ (5)

... that, with the condition $\displaystyle y(\frac{1}{2})=0$ supplies...

$\displaystyle y= \sqrt{2 x - 1}$ (6)

Now integrating (6) with the condition $\displaystyle \varphi(\frac{1}{2})= \frac{3}{4}$ we obtain finally...

$\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{1}{3}\ (2 x -1)^{\frac{3}{2}} + \frac{3}{4}$ (7)

We have to observe that the solution is valid for $\displaystyle x \ge \frac{1}{2}$ and not for all x...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
I propose a solution even if [honestly...] I'm not sure cent per cent on its correctness...

1. First thing is that I don't understand your derivation of (2). It seems to be a wrong step.

2. You solution doesn't seemed to be giving the right solution. For fo2(1), your solution gives approximately 1.17 but the answer is 1. Your form seems to be an overestimate of f(x) which I think is because you used f(x)*f(x) instead of f(f(x)) in your calculation at step 2.

mathbalarka said:
1. First thing is that I don't understand your derivation of (2). It seems to be a wrong step.

2. You solution doesn't seemed to be giving the right solution. For fo2(1), your solution gives approximately 1.17 but the answer is 1. Your form seems to be an overestimate of f(x) which I think is because you used f(x)*f(x) instead of f(f(x)) in your calculation at step 2.

If the step (2) is wrong [perfecly possible of course..] then someone has to answer to that question: if $\displaystyle f(x)= \int_{a}^{x} y(u)\ du$ then what is $\displaystyle f\{f(x)\}$?...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
if $\displaystyle f(x)= \int_{a}^{x} y(u)\ du$ then what is $\displaystyle f\{f(x)\}$?...

\(\displaystyle \int_{a}^{f(x)} y(u) du\), of course.

mathbalarka said:
\(\displaystyle \int_{a}^{f(x)} y(u) du\), of course.

Which would equal

$$\int_{a}^{\int_{a}^{x}y(v)\,dv}y(u)\,du.$$

I've never seen that construction before, though there's certainly nothing wrong with the expression.

The main problem, and what makes it more interesting, is that it's only fixed point, \(\displaystyle z = 1\) is nor attractive neither repelling. It's neutral : \(\displaystyle |f'(z)| = 1\)! If there was an attracting fixed point, one would directly transform this functional form into the Schröder's equation and use modified Koening's method to solve it.

Your half-iterate formally diverges in the complex plane when continued by taylor. Hence, in one sense, your function actually don't exists. But, instead, we can use Ecalle's method to numerically approximate f(x) to several digits of accuracy. Take a look at here : half-iterates of x^2-x+1.

Balarka

The function f(x) is an iterative square root of \(\displaystyle h(x)=x^2-x+1\). If we find a solution g(x) of Schroder's equation, \(\displaystyle g(h(x))=s g(x)\), then the iterative square root would be given by \(\displaystyle h_{1/2}(x)=g^{-1}(s^{1/2} (g(x)))\), where \(\displaystyle s=f'(a)\), where a is a fixed point of f.

The substitution x=1 into Schroder's equation gives \(\displaystyle g(1)=s g(1)\), which implies that s=1. However, substitution of this value into the half-iterate equation gives \(\displaystyle h_{1/2}(x)=g^{-1}(g(x))=x\), which is not true.
Substituting values into the original functional equation gives \(\displaystyle f(0)=f^{-1}(1)\) and \(\displaystyle f(1)=f^{-1}(1)\), which suggests that \(\displaystyle f(0)=f(1)\), and the inverse function is not one-to-one. This is why the half-iterate formula does not work.
Alternatively, one could take \(\displaystyle 1^{1/2}=-1\), and then \(\displaystyle h_{1/2}=g^{-1}(-g(x))\)...

There might be no function at all that solves this equation. The form is similar to Problem 7 on this page. One might use the same method used to solve Problem 7 on this functional equation. I don't know how to do this, but maybe someone else does.

Related to Can You Solve This Challenging Functional Equation?

1. How do I know if a functional equation is solvable?

The first step in solving a functional equation is determining if it is solvable. This can be done by checking if the equation satisfies certain conditions, such as being continuous and having a unique solution for each input. If these conditions are met, then the equation is likely solvable.

2. What are the different methods for solving a functional equation?

There are several methods for solving a functional equation, including substitution, iteration, and using known properties of certain functions. The most appropriate method will depend on the specific equation and its complexity.

3. Can I use algebraic manipulation to solve a functional equation?

While algebraic manipulation can be used in some cases to simplify a functional equation, it is not always effective. Functional equations often involve more complex operations, such as derivatives and integrals, that cannot be easily manipulated algebraically.

4. How do I check the validity of my solution to a functional equation?

Once you have found a potential solution to a functional equation, it is important to verify its validity. This can be done by plugging the solution back into the original equation and checking if it satisfies all the conditions and gives the correct output for various inputs.

5. Can a computer program be used to solve a functional equation?

Yes, a computer program can be used to solve a functional equation. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the mathematical principles behind the equation in order to accurately code the solution. Additionally, the program may only find numerical solutions, rather than explicit formulas.