Can You Solve the Automata Language Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a deterministic finite automata and regular expression to express a language L with alphabet {0, 1} where the number of 0's is divisible by 5 and the number of 1's is divisible by 3. While it may seem difficult to do so with just a regular expression, it is possible with a DFA that has 15 states and transitions based on the number of 0's and 1's seen so far. There are also systematic ways to convert between DFAs and regular expressions.
vectorcube
Let L be the language with alphabet {0, 1}.

L:={ w in {0, 1}* | number of 0 divisible by 5, number of 1 divisible by 3}

Find a deterministic finite automata & regular expression that express L.

Sorry, but this is sort of a problem that i got stuck in a book. Help me, please!

Science news on Phys.org
If I understand the notation correctly, you're looking for a regular expression capable of describing (for example):

but NOT (for example):

I can't think of a way to do this without making some sort of state machine, since you have to have some degree of memory in order to ensure that what you place going *forward* is in synch with what you've already placed into a given string. Hence, doesn't it by definition defy the possibility of having a regular expression?

I could see if you wanted something wherein you could not intersperse 1's and 0's in increments other than those divisible by 3 and 5 respectively. That you could do with a regular expression just fine. But interspersing them, I dunno-- my gut instinct says you can't do that with a regular expression.

DaveE

davee123 - Actually, a DFA exists. You only need a constant amount of memory, not an unbounded stack as with pushdown automata for general context-free grammars.

vectorcube: Are you familiar with the result that finite automata and regular expressions are equivalent? There is a very simple DFA (deterministic finite automaton) which accepts your language: it has 15 states, indexed by pairs (i,j) for 0<i<5 and and 0<j<3, where i and j respectively "count" the number of 0's, 1's seen so far (modulo 5 and modulo 3). That is, there are transitions from (i,j) -> (i+1 mod 5, j) on "0", and (i,j) -> (i, j+1 mod 3) on "1". The start and accept state is (0,0). Do you see how this counts digits?

Your regular expression will certainly be rather large (if you do want an explicit expression, which you probably don't). There are systematic ways to convert from DFAs to regular expressions (and vice versa); there should be a constructive proof in your book. E.g. in the 1st ed. of Hopcroft & Ullman it is theorem 2.4. So this is one way to get the regular expression; perhaps there is a simpler way.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

Related to Can You Solve the Automata Language Problem?

1. What is an automaton?

An automaton is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system or process. In the context of computer science, it refers to a machine that can perform a specific sequence of operations based on a set of instructions.

2. What is the language problem in automata theory?

The language problem in automata theory is the question of whether a given automaton can recognize a particular language. In other words, can the automaton accurately identify whether a given input string belongs to the language it is designed to recognize.

3. What is the difference between a deterministic and nondeterministic automaton?

A deterministic automaton follows a single, unique path for each input symbol, while a nondeterministic automaton may have multiple paths for a given input symbol. This means that a nondeterministic automaton may have more than one possible state after reading a particular input, while a deterministic automaton will only have one.

4. How does an automaton process inputs?

An automaton processes inputs by reading one symbol at a time from a given input string and transitioning between states based on the current state and the input symbol. The automaton will continue this process until it reaches a final state, at which point it will either accept or reject the input string based on the language it is designed to recognize.

5. What is the significance of automata in computer science?

Automata are an important concept in computer science as they provide a theoretical framework for understanding and analyzing the behavior of computer programs and algorithms. They are also used in the design and optimization of various computational systems, such as compilers, parsers, and artificial intelligence.