Can You Solve for Theta in Terms of a Known Expression?

• Thread starter francisg3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding an expression in terms of θ for the given equation. The steps involve manipulating the equation using trigonometric identities and solving for θ. However, the conversation ends with uncertainty on how to proceed with the final step of finding an expression in the form of θ=... due to the presence of a sine function inside and outside the unknown.
francisg3
This is part of a bigger problem, I need to find an expression in terms of θ for the expression below.

1. x=(2r sin⁡θ)/3θ where x=r/2
2. r/2=(2r sin⁡θ)/3θ
3. r=(4r sin⁡θ)/3θ
4. 1=(4 sin⁡θ)/3θ
5. 1/4= sin⁡θ/3θ
6. 3θ/4= sin^-1(θ)

I don't know where to go from there. All I need is an expression in the form of θ= ...

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi francisg3! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
francisg3 said:
1. x=(2r sin⁡θ)/3θ where x=r/2
2. r/2=(2r sin⁡θ)/3θ
3. r=(4r sin⁡θ)/3θ
4. 1=(4 sin⁡θ)/3θ
5. 1/4= sin⁡θ/3θ
6. 3θ/4= sin^-1(θ)

I don't know where to go from there. All I need is an expression in the form of θ= ...

Thanks!

i'm confused :redface:

6. has sin-1θ …

were they all supposed to have sin-1θ ? :confused:

anyway, when you have A = sin-1B,

you can take sin of both sides, giving you sinA = B :wink:

However, in general, if you have the unknown both inside a transcendental function, such as sine) and outside it, there is no simple "algebraic" way to solve for it.

Related to Can You Solve for Theta in Terms of a Known Expression?

1. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a circular sector?

The formula for finding the centroid of a circular sector is (2/3)r, where r is the radius of the circle.

2. How is the centroid of a circular sector different from the centroid of a circle?

The centroid of a circular sector is the center of mass or balance point of the sector, while the centroid of a circle is the center point of the circle.

3. Can the centroid of a circular sector be outside the sector?

No, the centroid of a circular sector will always be located within the sector, as it represents the balance point of the sector's mass.

4. How can the centroid of a circular sector be used in real-life applications?

The centroid of a circular sector can be used in engineering and architecture to determine the center of mass and balance point for structures and objects with circular sectors, such as bridges, arches, and wheel designs.

5. Is the centroid of a circular sector the same for all sectors with the same angle?

No, the centroid of a circular sector is dependent on the radius of the circle, therefore sectors with the same angle but different radii will have different centroids.