Can You Separate Real and Imaginary Parts of $\sin^{-1}(e^{i\theta})$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaginary
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of separating the imaginary part from the real part in the equation $\sin ^{-1} ( e^{i\theta})$, with attempts to find a solution through equations such as $\sin u = e^{i\theta}$ and $\sin (x + iy) = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta$. However, it is concluded that this is not an easy task. The output of Maxima is provided as a potential solution, with the real and imaginary parts being expressed as functions of $\mathrm{atan2}$ and $\mathrm{log}$.
Amer
Is it possible to separate imaginary part from the real part in this question

$\sin ^{-1} ( e^{i\theta}) $

I tired to find u such that

$\sin u = e^{i\theta} $

$ \sin u = \cos \theta + i sin \theta $

$ \sin (x + iy) = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta $

$ \sin x \cos iy + \sin iy \cos x = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta $

$\sin x \cosh y + i \sinh y \cos x = \cos \theta + i \sin \theta $
but this is not easy

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Amer said:

$\sin u = e^{i\theta} $

but this is not easy

Thanks

You just have. The real part is when $\sin x \cosh y = \cos\theta$.

Amer said:

$\sin u = e^{i\theta} $

but this is not easy

Thanks

Hi Amer, :)

Finding the real and imaginary parts seem not to be easy and this is what I got using Maxima. Hope this helps. :)

\[\mbox{Re}\left[\sin ^{-1} ( e^{i\theta})\right]=\mathrm{atan2}\left( \mathrm{sin}\left( \frac{\mathrm{atan2}\left( 0,1-{e}^{2\,i\,x}\right) }{2}\right) \,\sqrt{\left| {e}^{2\,i\,x}-1\right| }+{e}^{i\,x},\mathrm{cos}\left( \frac{\mathrm{atan2}\left( 0,1-{e}^{2\,i\,x}\right) }{2}\right) \,\sqrt{\left| {e}^{2\,i\,x}-1\right| }\right)\]

and

\[\mbox{Im}\left[\sin ^{-1} ( e^{i\theta})\right]=-\frac{\mathrm{log}\left( {\mathrm{cos}\left( \frac{\mathrm{atan2}\left( 0,1-{e}^{2\,i\,x}\right) }{2}\right) }^{2}\,\left| {e}^{2\,i\,x}-1\right| +{\left( \mathrm{sin}\left( \frac{\mathrm{atan2}\left( 0,1-{e}^{2\,i\,x}\right) }{2}\right) \,\sqrt{\left| {e}^{2\,i\,x}-1\right| }+{e}^{i\,x}\right) }^{2}\right) }{2}\]

where, \(\mbox{atan}2(y,x)\) is the value of \(\mbox{atan}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)\) in the interval \([-\pi,\pi]\).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Can You Separate Real and Imaginary Parts of $\sin^{-1}(e^{i\theta})$?

1. What is the difference between an imaginary and real concept?

Imaginary concepts refer to ideas or objects that do not physically exist in the real world. They are often products of the imagination or thoughts. On the other hand, real concepts are tangible and can be experienced through the five senses.

2. How do we determine if something is imaginary or real?

The line between imaginary and real can sometimes be blurry, but there are a few ways to differentiate between the two. One way is to consider if something can be perceived by the five senses. If it cannot, then it is most likely imaginary. Additionally, examining the evidence and logical reasoning can help determine if something is real or imaginary.

3. Can imaginary concepts have an impact on the real world?

Yes, imaginary concepts can have an impact on the real world. Many inventions and innovations started as imaginary concepts before becoming a reality. Also, the power of imagination can inspire and motivate individuals to bring about real change in the world.

4. Are there any benefits to separating imaginary from real?

There are definitely benefits to being able to distinguish between imaginary and real concepts. Understanding the difference allows us to better navigate and make sense of the world around us. It also helps us make informed decisions and avoid being misled by false or imaginary ideas.

5. Can imaginary concepts become real?

Yes, imaginary concepts can become real through human actions and efforts. The process of turning an idea into a tangible product or concept is called manifestation. With hard work, determination, and the right resources, anything is possible.