Can You Safely Handle Alpha Radiation? The Dangers of Unprotected Exposure

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of handling Americium-241, a radioactive material. It is stated that holding it in one's hand may cause warmth and tingling from the alpha activity and that these particles would be mostly absorbed by the skin. However, it is also emphasized that handling any radioactive material should be done with care, as the primary hazard is internal intake. The use of protective equipment, such as gloves and shielding, is recommended when working with Am-241. It is also mentioned that high energy gamma emitters may be felt as warmth in the fingers, but this has not been scientifically proven. The conversation also touches on the effects of other radioactive materials, such as Cobalt-60 which can produce heat and ozone
Arjani
Say I were to pick up a big chunk of Americium-241. Could I just hold it in my hand or would it be painful? Not that I'm planning on doing it, just out of curiosity.

Engineering news on Phys.org
One might feel warmth from the heat generated by the alpha activity, and possibly some tingling from the radiation. One would experience only alpha emitted from the surface adjacent to the hand, and they would be absorbed mostly by the skin.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=95&n=146 (use zoom 1)

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/getdecayscheme.jsp?nucleus=237NP&dsid=241am a decay&unc=nds
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=241AM&unc=nds

About 84% of alphas are emitted with an energy of 5.486 MeV and another 13% have an energy of 5.443 MeV.

Nothing more than tingling? So theoretically, you could hold it in your hand and if you just washed your hands thoroughly enough, you'd be none the worse off?

Yes. I have done it, but I do not recommend it. I don't want to be held responsible if someone gets hurt doing this.

Most of the time when our people work with alpha particles they are wearing breathing protection to prevent internal intake as well as partial anti-contamination clothing. Also, sometimes the work is done in a glove bag if there is a large amount.

The primary hazard with alpha particles is if they are taken in internally. That is where they will do the most damage.

Google Alexander V. Litvinenko and Po-210. This unfortunate soul ingested Po-210 a known strong alpha emitter (I am unable to post links until I reach 10 posts). It was very big news at one time. Po-210 is used frequently in static eliminators if my memory serves me.

Last edited:
I should clarify. I did not feel a 'tingling.' I did feel warmth from the decay or alphas depositing their energy in my skin.

Additionally, handling any radioactive material should be done with care. Alphas are considered not a large concern by many who work with radioactive material daily, but they can cause serious harm to you.

Just yesterday photos of a radiographer's hand came into my office from an overexposure. He will likely lose most of the digits on his hands. This is a person who has some training with handling radioactive materials and knows the risks. Admittedly the damage to his hands was not caused by alpha particles.

Arjani said:
Nothing more than tingling? So theoretically, you could hold it in your hand and if you just washed your hands thoroughly enough, you'd be none the worse off?
There probably would be gamma radiation from the 3% of Am-241 with lower energy alphas, as well as decay products.

When handling Am-241 and other similar materials, one normally uses gloves and typically one works remotely or with the sample shielded in a glove box.

The transuranics are heavy metals so it's best not to handle with direct contact to the skin.

I used to have a boss that said he could feel high energy gamma emitters in his fingers...not sure if a double blind study has been done on this or not.

terryphi said:
I used to have a boss that said he could feel high energy gamma emitters in his fingers...not sure if a double blind study has been done on this or not.
Cobalt60 is 2.4 MeV per decay, so 1 watt of Co60 = 1 Curie of Co60. Absorption coefficient of Co60 gammas in water is about 0.03 cm2 per gram, so about the heating of fingers is about 1/30 of 1 watt, or 30 mW.

silverback011 said:
I should clarify. I did not feel a 'tingling.' I did feel warmth from the decay or alphas depositing their energy in my skin.
Ah. I was about to comment. I would be astonished if one felt anything like tingling. One should just feel warmth. (But that is just an educated expectation.)

Bob S said:
Cobalt60 is 2.4 MeV per decay, so 1 watt of Co60 = 1 Curie of Co60. Absorption coefficient of Co60 gammas in water is about 0.03 cm2 per gram, so about the heating of fingers is about 1/30 of 1 watt, or 30 mW.

Um...really? First, the gamma decay energies for cobalt-60 are 1.17 and 1.33, which totals 2.5 MeV per decay (I'll ignore the other braches since they are so rare, as well as the beta energy). Second, 2.5 MeV is about 4 x 10-13 J, and 1 curie is 3.7 x 1010 dps, which makes 1 Curie about 148 milliwatts. It takes about 6.76 curies to produce 1 watt of energy. I have no idea where you came up with 1 watt = 1 curie.

daveb said:
Um...really? First, the gamma decay energies for cobalt-60 are 1.17 and 1.33, which totals 2.5 MeV per decay (I'll ignore the other braches since they are so rare, as well as the beta energy). Second, 2.5 MeV is about 4 x 10-13 J, and 1 curie is 3.7 x 1010 dps, which makes 1 Curie about 148 milliwatts. It takes about 6.76 curies to produce 1 watt of energy. I have no idea where you came up with 1 watt = 1 curie.
My bad. Thanks.

If an alpha source is physically hot from it's own radioactivity, then you need to drop it and run. Any radioactive source that self heats is a source to run away from. Fortunately, you don't have to run far from alpha... gamma travels far further, although the inverse square law helps, air isn't a good shield for gamma.
I've had dealings with a single 4000 Ci cobalt 60 source that was described to me as roughly equivalent to a 60 watt lamp for heat. Two weeks of storage in a 2 tonne shielded pig (mostly lead) was enough to make the pig almost too warm to handle.
I've read that cats can detect strong xray and gamma fields by smelling the ozone created by ionisation of air in their nasal cavity. I can easily smell the ozone in a big gamma irradiator's canister when it is exposed long enough to kill all living cells in it. If I smelt that while working around a gamma source, I'd run and ask questions later. Immediate action might be your only chance of survival. If you could smell ozone, the gamma field would be enough to jelly your brains in a minute, so even a few seconds head start for bailing out could save your life. Never expose yourself to any radiation source unless you have training, shielding, handling rods, test instruments and a safety buddy. With two people, one doing the work, the other watching the instruments and cross checking your work, you have a much better chance of avoiding a nasty injury.

Related to Can You Safely Handle Alpha Radiation? The Dangers of Unprotected Exposure

1. Can you physically feel alpha radiation?

No, you cannot physically feel alpha radiation. Alpha particles are very small and cannot be seen or felt by humans.

2. How can you detect alpha radiation?

Alpha radiation can be detected using specialized equipment such as a Geiger counter or a cloud chamber. These devices can sense the presence of alpha particles and provide a reading of their intensity.

3. What are the potential health effects of exposure to alpha radiation?

Exposure to alpha radiation can cause damage to living cells and tissues, potentially leading to health issues such as radiation sickness and an increased risk of developing cancer.

4. Is alpha radiation harmful to humans?

Yes, alpha radiation can be harmful to humans if exposure is prolonged or at high levels. However, the level of harm depends on factors such as the duration and intensity of exposure, and the type of material emitting the alpha particles.

5. How can one protect themselves from alpha radiation?

To protect oneself from alpha radiation, one can use shielding materials such as paper, clothing, or even a layer of skin. Limiting exposure time and maintaining a safe distance from the source of alpha radiation can also help reduce the risk of harm.