Can You Provide Guidance on Obtaining a Hydrograph by Return Flood?

• Thread starter af_231
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about obtaining a hydrograph by return flood for a research project. The speaker has been searching online for a method or process to do so, but has not found any relevant information. Another person suggests using the terms "hydrograph return period flood" in a Google search, but the speaker has already tried this and found examples related to precipitation data rather than flood data.
af_231
Hello!
As part of a research project I want to get a hydrograph by return flood obtained from the flood frequency analysis.
I have been searching on internet, but haven't find anything about it. I would be very grateful if someone can suggest me any method or process on hydrograph by return flood.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
af 231, I suggest you google the terms "hydrograph return period flood". I did and I think you can find lots of examples of others who have already done this.

Thanks Bobbywhy, but I already did what you suggested me.
Unfortunately, the examples you found with google searach are related to hydrograph obtained from precipitation data, not flood data (return flood) as I mentioned above.

Related to Can You Provide Guidance on Obtaining a Hydrograph by Return Flood?

1. What is a hydrograph by return flood?

A hydrograph by return flood is a graph that shows the discharge or flow rate of a river or stream over a specific period of time, typically after a flood event. It is used to analyze the flood response of a watershed or catchment area.

2. How is a hydrograph by return flood created?

A hydrograph by return flood is created by measuring the water level at a specific point in a river or stream at regular intervals. This data is then plotted on a graph, typically with time on the x-axis and discharge on the y-axis, to show how the water level changes over time.

3. What information can be obtained from a hydrograph by return flood?

A hydrograph by return flood can provide information about the rate and timing of peak flow during a flood event, the duration of the flood, and the total volume of water that passed through the river or stream. This information is important for flood risk management and planning.

4. How is a hydrograph by return flood used in flood forecasting?

A hydrograph by return flood is used in flood forecasting by comparing the current hydrograph with past hydrographs from similar flood events. This helps to predict the potential impact of the current flood and inform evacuation and emergency response plans.

5. What factors can affect a hydrograph by return flood?

The shape and size of a watershed, land use changes, and weather patterns can all affect the shape and magnitude of a hydrograph by return flood. Human activities such as dam construction and deforestation can also impact the flow of water in a river or stream and therefore affect the hydrograph.