Can you prove these floor and ceiling equations?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Walshy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, for the first proof, we can use Minkowski addition to show that for any real number x that is not an integer, the sum of its floor and the floor of its negative value is equal to -1. For the second proof, we can consider different cases for x and use the definition of floor to show that the floor of floor of x divided by 2 is equal to the floor of x divided by 4.
Walshy1
Hi, i need help with 2 proofs based off of floor and ceiling.
1.)For any real number x, if x is not an integer, then floor(x) + floor(-x) =- 1.2.For all real numbers x, floor(floor(x/2)/2) = floor(x/4).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
floor(x) = x - a, where 0 <= a < 1

floor(-x) = -x - b, where 0 <= b < 1

You tell me why a + b = 1

tkhunny said:
floor(x) = x - a, where 0 <= a < 1

floor(-x) = -x - b, where 0 <= b < 1

You tell me why a + b = 1
I'm sorry that makes no sense to me.

I urge you to think more about the given hint...it leads immediately to the proof you seek.

Once this clicks, a very similar argument will work for the second proof.

$ \lfloor{x}\rfloor = \max\{m\in\mathbb{Z}\mid m < x\}$ when $x$ is not an integer, thus:

$ \begin{aligned} \lfloor{x}\rfloor+\lfloor{-x}\rfloor & = \max\{m\in\mathbb{Z}\mid m < x\}+\max\{m\in\mathbb{Z}\mid m < -x\} \\& = \max\{m\in\mathbb{Z}\mid 2m < 0\} = \max\{m\in\mathbb{Z}\mid m < 0\} \\& = -1.\end{aligned}$

This addition (of sets usually) is called Minkowski addition.

For the second problem, you can consider cases when $x$ has the form $4n+y$ and $4n+2+y$ where $n\in\mathbb{Z}$ and $0\le y<2$. For example, suppose that $x=4n+y$. Then $x/2=2n+y/2$. Since $0\le y/2<1$, $\lfloor x/2\rfloor=2n$. Therefore, $\lfloor\lfloor x/2\rfloor/2\rfloor=n$. Now you show that $\lfloor (4n+y)/4\rfloor=n$. Also, show that $\lfloor\lfloor x/2\rfloor/2\rfloor=\lfloor x/4\rfloor$ when $x=4n+2+y$ where $n\in\mathbb{Z}$ and $0\le y<2$

Related to Can you prove these floor and ceiling equations?

1. What is a floor proof?

A floor proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that a given number is the largest integer that is less than or equal to another number.

2. How is a floor proof different from a ceiling proof?

A ceiling proof is the opposite of a floor proof, where it is used to prove that a given number is the smallest integer that is greater than or equal to another number.

3. What is the notation used for floor and ceiling functions?

The floor function is denoted by the symbol ⌊x⌋ and the ceiling function is denoted by the symbol ⌈x⌉.

4. What is an example of a floor proof?

An example of a floor proof is proving that ⌊3.4⌋ = 3. This can be done by showing that 3 is less than or equal to 3.4, and that there is no integer between 3 and 3.4.

5. How are floor and ceiling proofs used in real-world applications?

Floor and ceiling proofs are commonly used in computer programming and data analysis, where integers are needed for functions or calculations. They are also used in cryptography, where precise integer values are necessary for encryption and decryption algorithms.