Can You Plot Functions in Excel?

In summary, it is not possible to directly input a function into Excel and get a graph, but there is a workaround using the program's features. This involves writing the function in a cell and using the fill down function to generate values of x, which can then be used to plot a graph. There are also Visual Basic programming tools available for more advanced users.
Fritz
Is it possible to input a function into Excel e.g. 1/(x^2+4) and get a graph?

How do you draw graphs of functions on Excel?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The only way I get it to graph anything is to calculate the points tabularly to columns and then plot them e.g. as linegraph or scattergraph. I think it does not have a property to directly plot a function.

I believe as PerennialII.

Although I do think that it has some kind of Visual Basic programming tools available, but I've never used that feature.

The quickest way to get your graph is to write your equation in a cell in column B like so,...=1/(A1^2+4) Where A1 points to the cell A1.

Then in cell A1 put in an initial value for x, say zero maybe.

In cell A2 put in the next increment of x, say 0.05 maybe.

Then select cells A1 and A2 together. Then put your mouse pointer on the little black cross at the lower right-hand side of cell A2 and drag it down to fill down the series in the A column. That will produce values of x that are incremented by 0.05.

Then select the formula in cell B1 and fill it down so that it automatically calculates the results for each x value. Then you can plot those columns in a graph.

If you understood how to do the above. Then you can get carried away with the values of x by simply experimenting with various formulae to define the values of x in the A column. In other words. define an initial value of x in cell A1. Then in cell A2 define a function that refers to cell A1 (the cell immediately above it). Then just fill down that formula. It will generate a new x based on the value of the previous x.

It's actually pretty slick once you get the hang of it. The original equation in column B will automatically update based on the new values in column A.

Hope this wasn't too confusing.

^ That was great! Thank you.

Related to Can You Plot Functions in Excel?

1. How do I plot a function in Excel?

To plot a function in Excel, you can use the built-in function feature. First, select the cell where you want the output of your function to appear. Then, click on the "Formulas" tab and select "Insert Function". A dialog box will appear where you can search for the function you want to plot. Once you select the function, enter the required arguments and click "OK". The output of your function will be displayed in the selected cell.

2. Can I plot multiple functions in one graph in Excel?

Yes, you can plot multiple functions in one graph in Excel. To do this, select the data range for your first function and insert a chart. Then, right-click on the chart and select "Select Data". Click on "Add" and select the data range for your second function. Repeat this process for all the functions you want to plot. You can also customize the appearance of each function on the graph by right-clicking on the function and selecting "Format Data Series".

3. How do I plot a function with multiple variables in Excel?

To plot a function with multiple variables in Excel, you can use the "IF" or "AND" functions. These functions allow you to set conditions for each variable and display the output based on those conditions. For example, if you want to plot a function with two variables, you can use the "IF" function to set the conditions for each variable and the output will be displayed based on those conditions.

4. Can I plot a non-linear function in Excel?

Yes, you can plot a non-linear function in Excel. Excel has various built-in functions that allow you to plot non-linear functions such as logarithmic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. You can also use the "Trendline" feature to plot a non-linear function in Excel. This feature allows you to add a linear or polynomial trendline to your data.

5. How do I edit the axis labels on a function plot in Excel?

To edit the axis labels on a function plot in Excel, right-click on the axis and select "Format Axis". A dialog box will appear where you can customize the appearance of the axis labels, including the font, size, and orientation. You can also change the axis labels by clicking on them and typing in the desired label. Additionally, you can use the "Chart Elements" and "Chart Styles" features to further customize the appearance of your function plot in Excel.