Can you me with this question? about a refrigerator and heat?

In summary, the discussion revolved around the flow of heat in a kitchen with a refrigerator. It was determined that the heat given off by the condensation coils of the refrigerator would go outward toward the kitchen, heating it up. If the kitchen is isolated with no heat transfer, the open refrigerator would not be able to cool it down, but instead, add more heat to it. The air inside the refrigerator would change temperature at a constant rate, depending on whether the refrigerator is producing or consuming heat. If the refrigerator is unplugged, it loses its source of energy and will not be able to produce heat, which would result in a drop in temperature inside the kitchen.
graphicer89
Can you please help me with this question?? about a refrigerator and heat?

Homework Statement

A) Where does the heat go which is given off by the condensation coils of the refrigerator in your kitchen?

B) Its 90 degrees in your kitchen, you decide all windows and all doors so no heat transfer occurs between the outside and inside, then you open your refrigerator. If you leave you refrigerator open the whole day will it cool down the kitchen? Why or why not? Describe the flow of heat after the refrigerator door is opened...

C) After 5 minutes the refrigerator door is still open.Would the air in the refrigerator be changing temperature less quickly, more quickly or at the same rate when the refrigerator door was first opened? Why is this?

D) If the refrigerator is unplugged what happens to the flow of the heat in the room?

Can i at least get an idea...??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Well, what are your thoughts so far? We won't just give you the answers.

graphicer89 said:
Homework Statement

A) Where does the heat go which is given off by the condensation coils of the refrigerator in your kitchen?

B) Its 90 degrees in your kitchen, you decide all windows and all doors so no heat transfer occurs between the outside and inside, then you open your refrigerator. If you leave you refrigerator open the whole day will it cool down the kitchen? Why or why not? Describe the flow of heat after the refrigerator door is opened...

C) After 5 minutes the refrigerator door is still open.Would the air in the refrigerator be changing temperature less quickly, more quickly or at the same rate when the refrigerator door was first opened? Why is this?

D) If the refrigerator is unplugged what happens to the flow of the heat in the room?

Can i at least get an idea...??

sorry about that your completely right...
D) my guess is that if the refri is unplugged it loses energy which produces the heat which makes the flow of the heat in the room less rising the temperature...a guess..but i think I am really off ...

C)After 5 minutes my guess is that the temperature in the refri would have changed at the same rate...its like a close door where heat can not enter...the temperature remains the same. But if it allows heat to enter then the temperature will continue to change at a constant rate

B) I seriously don't know about this one but I am thinking that it will not cool down because its not enough energy to change the temperature to cool it down. But the flow of heat would just go out only close to the refri not enough to cover the kitchen

A) If I am right the condensation coils are on the sides of the refri...so that heat would just go outward toward the kitchen...please help me out...i just have to answer this question and i wasnt given anything to guide my self

graphicer89 said:
A) If I am right the condensation coils are on the sides of the refri...so that heat would just go outward toward the kitchen...
Yep, that's right.

graphicer89 said:
B) I seriously don't know about this one but I am thinking that it will not cool down because its not enough energy to change the temperature to cool it down. But the flow of heat would just go out only close to the refri not enough to cover the kitchen
OK, the kitchen won't cool down, but will it heat up or stay at the same temperature?

Here's the way to think about it: if the windows and doors are closed and are perfect insulators, no heat can enter or leave the kitchen. So the only thing that can change the amount of heat in the kitchen is the refrigerator. Is the refrigerator generating heat, removing heat, or neither?

graphicer89 said:
C)After 5 minutes my guess is that the temperature in the refri would have changed at the same rate...its like a close door where heat can not enter...the temperature remains the same. But if it allows heat to enter then the temperature will continue to change at a constant rate
True, heat can't enter through the door, but as I said, the refrigerator could be producing or consuming heat, so the temperature does not necessarily remain the same.

graphicer89 said:
D) my guess is that if the refri is unplugged it loses energy which produces the heat which makes the flow of the heat in the room less rising the temperature...a guess..but i think I am really off ...
umm... not sure what exactly you mean by that

diazona said:
Yep, that's right.

OK, the kitchen won't cool down, but will it heat up or stay at the same temperature?

Here's the way to think about it: if the windows and doors are closed and are perfect insulators, no heat can enter or leave the kitchen. So the only thing that can change the amount of heat in the kitchen is the refrigerator. Is the refrigerator generating heat, removing heat, or neither?

True, heat can't enter through the door, but as I said, the refrigerator could be producing or consuming heat, so the temperature does not necessarily remain the same.

umm... not sure what exactly you mean by that

OH wow so its producing HEAT so it will heat up the kitchen...interesting...am i right?

the part that you didnt understand...if the refrigerator was unplugged then it loses its source of energy...electricity...so it will not be able to produce heat and it will lower the temperature of the kitchen?

graphicer89 said:
OH wow so its producing HEAT so it will heat up the kitchen...interesting...am i right?
Yep, that's right. But how do you know that the heat released by the coils is more than the heat absorbed by the interior of the refrigerator?

graphicer89 said:
the part that you didnt understand...if the refrigerator was unplugged then it loses its source of energy...electricity...so it will not be able to produce heat
That much is right
graphicer89 said:
and it will lower the temperature of the kitchen?
Why would the temperature of the kitchen drop? If the temperature drops, it means the kitchen must be losing heat, so where would the heat be going?

graphicer89 said:

A) If I am right the condensation coils are on the sides of the refri...so that heat would just go outward toward the kitchen...please help me out...i just have to answer this question and i wasnt given anything to guide my self

so this is what I came up with after reviewing our conversation ...

A...the heat is given off to the surrounding air in this case toward the kitchen

b...no because the refrigerator will produce more heat. The fact is that if you leave the door open the whole day the refrigerator would be consuming more electricity giving more heat and emitting that heat to the kitchen. So the flow of heat would be toward the condensation coils in the back of the refrigerator

C...it would stay at the same rate as when it was first open. The only difference is that it will produce more energy to maintain the same temperature from the beggining

D...of the refrigerator is unplugged then it loses it's source of enrgy to produce heat so it will not be able to produce heat and the temperature stays the same...how does that sound please correct me if I am wrong in any of them...

Related to Can you me with this question? about a refrigerator and heat?

1. Can you explain how a refrigerator works?

A refrigerator works by using a compressor to compress and condense refrigerant gas, which then flows through a series of tubes and coils. As the refrigerant expands, it absorbs heat from the inside of the fridge, keeping the contents cool. The heat is then released through the coils on the back of the fridge.

2. Why does my fridge feel warm on the outside?

The outside of a refrigerator can feel warm due to the heat being released through the coils and vents on the back of the fridge. This is a normal part of the cooling process and helps maintain a cool temperature inside the fridge.

3. Is it safe to put hot food in the refrigerator?

It is not recommended to put hot food directly into the refrigerator as it can raise the temperature inside the fridge and potentially cause bacteria to grow. It is best to let hot food cool down to room temperature before placing it in the fridge.

4. Why does my fridge make a loud noise?

Loud noises coming from a refrigerator can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a faulty compressor or motor, loose fan blades, or a build-up of ice in the freezer. If the noise is persistent and disruptive, it is best to have a professional inspect and repair the fridge.

5. How can I make my refrigerator more energy-efficient?

To make your refrigerator more energy-efficient, you can try to keep the door closed as much as possible, ensure the door seals are tight, and avoid overfilling the fridge. You can also set the temperature to the recommended level and regularly clean the coils and vents on the back of the fridge to improve airflow.