Can you help with my classroom debate? (Impulses in car crashes)

In summary: I think I better understand. While the impulses would be the same, the amount of force exerted to stop the car is equally proportional to the amount of time it took the car to stop. Therefore, when multiplied together, they come to the same amount of impulse, even though they...
Xian Maynor
My classmates and I were discussing the impulse-momentum theorem and how they correlate.

The example problem consisted of two cars running into solid surfaces at the same velocity. One car ran into a brick wall and came to a complete stop. The other car ran into a haystack and came to a complete stop. This was done so to where the change in momentums were the same between the two cars.

A question was then arisen as to whether the impulse of the two surfaces were the same, as impulse and momentum are considered to always be equal to each other mathematically. My teacher began to say that the impulses were different because the surfaces were different, however, I stated that if the change in momentums were equal between the two cars, then the impulses between the two cars would also be the same.

Who's right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xian Maynor said:
My classmates and I were discussing the impulse-momentum theorem and how they correlate.

The example problem consisted of two cars running into solid surfaces at the same velocity. One car ran into a brick wall and came to a complete stop. The other car ran into a haystack and came to a complete stop. This was done so to where the change in momentums were the same between the two cars.

A question was then arisen as to whether the impulse of the two surfaces were the same, as impulse and momentum are considered to always be equal to each other mathematically. My teacher began to say that the impulses were different because the surfaces were different, however, I stated that if the change in momentums were equal between the two cars, then the impulses between the two cars would also be the same.

Who's right?

Read this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/impulse.html

Do you think the stopping time is the same for both scenarios?

Zz.

Xian Maynor said:

Who's right?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Impulse and momentum have slightly different definitions. Can you show us the equations for each?

EDIT -- Oops, Zz beat me to it!

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Impulse and momentum have slightly different definitions. Can you show us the equations for each?

EDIT -- Oops, Zz beat me to it!

There were no equations because they were conceptual multiple choice. We were talking about the change in momentum and impulse and whether they were the same.

Xian Maynor said:
Yes, the stopping times were the same for both vehicles.

Really? One stops almost immediately, while the other is spread out over the crumpling of the haystack. One changes momentum very quickly, while the other has its momentum change over a period of time.

Think again!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Really? One stops almost immediately, while the other is spread out over the crumpling of the haystack. One changes momentum very quickly, while the other has its momentum change over a period of time.

Think again!

Zz.

That was the problem that I had. However, my teacher told me to envision a situation where they had the same stopping time, even though the surfaces are different. I personally feel that she butchered this question.

Xian Maynor said:
That was the problem that I had. However, my teacher told me to envision a situation where they had the same stopping time, even though the surfaces are different. I personally feel that she butchered this question.

Look at the link I gave you. You (or your teacher) may not want to consider any "equation", but that is the ONLY guide one has to view this, even conceptually.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Look at the link I gave you. You (or your teacher) may not want to consider any "equation", but that is the ONLY guide one has to view this, even conceptually.

Zz.

I think I better understand. While the impulses would be the same, the amount of force exerted to stop the car is equally proportional to the amount of time it took the car to stop. Therefore, when multiplied together, they come to the same amount of impulse, even though they are different surfaces?

Xian Maynor said:
I think I better understand. While the impulses would be the same, the amount of force exerted to stop the car is equally proportional to the amount of time it took the car to stop. Therefore, when multiplied together, they come to the same amount of impulse, even though they are different surfaces?

You are not quite there.

The force applied is inversely-proportional to the time it takes to stop the car. The shorter the time, the larger the applied force to stop the car. This is an opposite relationship, not "equally proportional".

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You are not quite there.

The force applied is inversely-proportional to the time it takes to stop the car. The shorter the time, the larger the applied force to stop the car. This is an opposite relationship, not "equally proportional".

Zz.

My bad, that's what I meant. I meant it as in if the wall had a force of 3 and the time was 2, and the haystack had a force of 2, but a time of 3, then the impulse would be 6 for both, making the impulses equal.

Xian Maynor said:
My bad, that's what I meant. I meant it as in if the wall had a force of 3 and the time was 2, and the haystack had a force of 2, but a time of 3, then the impulse would be 6 for both, making the impulses equal.

Then you have it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
You are not quite there.

Zz.
Thank you, that really helps me to better understand this.

Related to Can you help with my classroom debate? (Impulses in car crashes)

1. What are the main causes of car crashes?

The main causes of car crashes are distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, reckless driving, and poor weather conditions.

2. How do these impulses affect car crashes?

Impulses can affect car crashes in various ways. For example, a sudden impulse to check your phone while driving can lead to distracted driving and increase the risk of a car crash.

3. Can you provide statistics on the impact of impulses in car crashes?

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, distracted driving was a factor in 8.5% of all fatal crashes and 6.3% of all crashes in 2019. Impaired driving, which can be caused by impulses, accounted for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in 2019.

4. How can we prevent impulses from causing car crashes?

One way to prevent impulses from causing car crashes is by practicing safe driving habits, such as staying focused on the road, avoiding distractions, and obeying speed limits. Additionally, setting boundaries for yourself, such as not using your phone while driving, can help prevent impulsive behaviors that may lead to car crashes.

5. Are there any studies on the psychological factors behind impulsive driving?

Yes, there have been numerous studies on the psychological factors behind impulsive driving. Some factors that have been identified include impulsivity, risk-taking behavior, and sensation seeking. These studies can help us better understand the root causes of impulsive driving and develop effective strategies for preventing car crashes.