Can You Help Me Understand Deformation of Solids in A Level Physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding the qualitative and quantitative behavior of copper, glass, and elastomers in relation to deformation. They are also looking for assistance in finding reliable resources for their self-study of A level Physics. The conversation includes recommendations for books and discussing the student's specific learning needs.
blueforest
Deformation of solids, please help!

The question is:
1/ Show a qualitative knowledge of typical behavior of copper, glass and elestomers.
2/ Quantitative treatment of deformation in one dimension including work done; experimental determination of the Young modulus for a metal in the form of a wire.
Please help me as quick as possible.
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi blueforest, welcome to PF. Please try answering these questions yourself, and others will likely give helpful comments on your answers. If we just did your homework for you, none of us would learn anything!

Thanks for your advice. But my problem is I'm Vietnamese student so I do not learn Physics in English in my class, it means I learn A level by myself, I didn't been taught by teacher. And it is not my homework, it is in a syllabus of an entrance exam for university in which I will attend. My book doesn't mention about it, and I search on the internet there are so many site. I can't decide which is right and necessary for me. So please help me. Thank you.

Your book doesn't compare the mechanical behavior of metals, ceramics, and elastomers? What's the title? You might do better with the books on mechanics of materials by Courtney, Dowling, or Beer and Johnston.

Try Tom Duncan A level Physics.There are many other good books out there so narrow your search by googling A level physics books.I believe the new AQA syllabus covers the topics you are interested in.

Related to Can You Help Me Understand Deformation of Solids in A Level Physics?

What is deformation of solids?

Deformation of solids is the process by which a solid object changes shape or size due to an external force or stress. This can occur in various ways, such as stretching, bending, compressing, or twisting.

What causes deformation of solids?

Deformation of solids is caused by external forces applied to the object, such as a weight, pressure, or impact. These forces can be applied gradually or suddenly, and can result in changes in the object's shape or size.

What factors affect the extent of deformation in solids?

The extent of deformation in solids is affected by several factors, including the type of material, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the temperature and pressure of the environment. Additionally, the shape and size of the object can also play a role in the extent of deformation.

How is deformation of solids measured?

Deformation of solids can be measured using various techniques, such as strain gauges, extensometers, or optical methods. These techniques measure the change in dimensions or shape of the object and can provide information about the extent and type of deformation.

What are the practical applications of studying deformation of solids?

The study of deformation of solids has many practical applications, including in engineering, material science, and geology. Understanding how different materials deform under stress can help in designing structures and predicting their behavior, as well as in developing new and improved materials. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena such as earthquakes and landslides.