Can You Get Electricity From Car Catalyst?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting electrical energy from a car's catalytic converter due to its redox reaction. However, it is clarified that a catalytic converter is not solely responsible for producing electricity and that it is just one component of the converter. The conversation ends with the conclusion that it is not certain whether the catalytic converter can produce electricity.
fysik
can I grab electrical energy from a car catalyst? do the reactions produce electricity?

Physics news on Phys.org
fysik said:
can I grab electrical energy from a car catalyst? do the reactions produce electricity?

What's a car catalyst?

is it so hard to understand that I am talking about the catalytic converter or however else you want to call it?

because it's a redox reaction, just like in cells

fysik said:
is it so hard to understand that I am talking about the catalytic converter or however else you want to call it?
Well, do you understand that a catalyst is just one component of the catalytic converter? :)

nasu said:
Well, do you understand that a catalyst is just one component of the catalytic converter? :)
ok, but you have to admit that it's the most important part and the functional part

fysik said:
ok, but you have to admit that it's the most important part and the functional part
That doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be able to get electricity from it.

I didn't say it necessarily means that, I just asked

Related to Can You Get Electricity From Car Catalyst?

1. Can a car catalyst produce electricity?

Yes, a car catalyst can produce electricity through a process called thermoelectricity. This is when a temperature difference is created between two sides of the catalyst, causing electrons to flow and generating an electric current.

2. How much electricity can be generated from a car catalyst?

The amount of electricity generated from a car catalyst depends on various factors such as the size and efficiency of the catalyst, the temperature difference, and the materials used. On average, a car catalyst can produce around 1-5 watts of electricity.

3. Is it cost-effective to use a car catalyst for electricity generation?

Currently, it is not cost-effective to use a car catalyst solely for electricity generation. However, some researchers are exploring ways to improve the efficiency and reduce the cost of using car catalysts for this purpose.

4. Are there any environmental benefits to using a car catalyst for electricity?

Yes, using a car catalyst for electricity generation can have environmental benefits. It can reduce the amount of energy needed from traditional power sources, which can help to reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change.

5. Can a car catalyst be used in hybrid or electric vehicles?

Yes, car catalysts can be used in hybrid and electric vehicles to generate electricity. This can help to extend the driving range of these vehicles and reduce the need for frequent charging.