Can you get an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree?

In summary, it is not very likely for someone with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics to land a job as an electrical or mechanical engineer. This is because most states require a Professional Engineer (PE) license, which typically requires an ABET accredited engineering degree and 4-8 years of experience. Without an engineering degree, individuals with a Physics degree may need 12-20 years of experience before being eligible for a PE license. Therefore, it is recommended to either switch majors or pursue a double major in engineering for better job prospects.
Ryuk1990
How likely is it for someone with a Bachelor's in Applied Physics to land a job as an electrical or mechanical engineer?

Physics news on Phys.org
About as likely as anyone else applying for a job that at face value they are probably not qualified for.

With a Physics degree right out of school your chances of getting a job as an engineer are about 0%. Technically, you're not supposed to call yourself an engineer unless you have your Professional Engineer (PE) license. The requirements for this vary from state to state. In most states you need an ABET accredited engineering degree plus 4 years of experience. An some states (not many) you can get your license with a degree in a science related to engineering (such as Physics or Math) plus 8-9 years of experience. In most states, with a Physics degree you will fall into the same category as someone with no college degree and will need 12-20 years of experience before you can get your PE. In practice in many states people with engineering degrees who don't yet have their PE do hold positions called "engineer", but since you're 12-20 years away from the PE instead of 4, you shouldn't expect an interview for any of those positions. You could do what I did and start out as a CAD designer (I have a Math degree), but I wouldn't recommend it. Speaking from experience, you are much better off either switching or doing a double major in engineering. After 3 years of working in the industry I decided to go back to school for the engineering degree.

Related to Can you get an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree?

1. Can I get an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree?

Yes, it is possible to get an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree. While most engineering jobs require an engineering degree, having a degree in Applied Physics can still make you a competitive candidate. Your knowledge in physics principles and problem-solving skills can be applied to various engineering fields.

2. What kind of engineering jobs can I get with an Applied Physics degree?

With an Applied Physics degree, you can pursue a career in a variety of engineering fields such as materials engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and aerospace engineering. You can also work in industries such as renewable energy, nanotechnology, and biotechnology.

3. Is it necessary to have a degree in engineering to work as an engineer?

While having an engineering degree is the most common path to becoming an engineer, it is not always necessary. Some employers may consider candidates with a degree in a related field, such as Applied Physics, as long as they have the necessary skills and knowledge for the job.

4. What skills do I need to have to get an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree?

To be successful in obtaining an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of physics principles and their applications. You may also need to have experience with computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages relevant to your field of interest.

5. How can I make myself a competitive candidate for an engineering job with an Applied Physics degree?

Aside from having the necessary skills and knowledge, you can make yourself a competitive candidate by gaining practical experience through internships, research projects, or co-op programs. Networking with professionals in the engineering field and staying updated on the latest industry developments can also make you stand out to potential employers.