Can you explain the basics of Newton's law?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving force, velocity, and potential energy. One person is trying to understand the equation and asks for clarification. The other person provides a detailed explanation, but also mentions having a "black out" or forgetting the information. The first person also asks about a German saying, which is explained to mean having a temporary memory lapse. The conversation then continues to discuss different sayings with similar meanings in different languages.
Herbststurm
Hello

Maybe I am standing on a garden hose (great German adage, does it exist in english or are you confused what I am talking about?)

Okay, to the topic:
Just for one dimension. It is easier:

We have [tex] m\ddot{x} = F(x(t)) [/tex] Now my book tells me that if I expansion with the velocity I should get:

[tex] \frac{m}{2} \frac{d}{dt} \dot{x}^{2} = - \frac{d}{dt} U(x(t)) [/tex]

I don't understand. Sadly I learnet it a year ago and I forgot everything. How sad a fate! :-(

I understand the right-hand side. Force is the derivative of the potential, the field must be conservative. But I don't understand the left-hand side.

1.) why is there a two under the mass?

2.) I expansion with the velocity? the differentialoperator on the velocity is my acceleration and the second velocity is one from the expansion. Where is the second? I could only identify one velocity. What happend?

Thanks
greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
v=dx/dt; dv/dt=d2x/dt2

d(v2)/dt
=[d(v2)/dv][dv/dt]
=[2v][dv/dt]
=[2dx/dt][dv/dt]

Rearrange using first and last lines of the above:
dv/dt=[d(v2)/dt][dt/dx]/2

LHS: m[dv/dt]=m[d(v2)/dt][dt/dx]/2

RHS: F=-dU/dx=-[dU/dt][dt/dx]

LHS=RHS
m[d(v2)/dt][dt/dx]/2=-[dU/dt][dt/dx]
m[d(v2)/dt]/2=-[dU/dt]

Herbststurm said:
Maybe I am standing on a garden hose (great German adage, does it exist in english or are you confused what I am talking about?)
I work with a lot of Germans, so I would really like to know what "standing on a garden hose" means.

[tex]w = \int \vec{F} ~ d\vec{r} = m ~ \int \vec{a} ~ d\vec{r} [/tex]

[tex]\vec{a} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt} \frac{d \vec{r}}{d\vec{r}} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dr} \frac{d \vec{r}}{dt} = \frac{d \vec{v}}{dr} \vec{v}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow w = m ~ \int \frac{d \vec{v}}{dr} \vec{v} ~ d\vec{r} = m ~ \int d \vec{v} ~ \vec{v} = m \frac{v^{2}}{2} = \frac{1}{2} m v^{2}[/tex]

Okay, I got it again :)

Damn, it is bad how fast on is able to forgot things :eek:

DaleSpam said:
I work with a lot of Germans, so I would really like to know what "standing on a garden hose" means.

It means that on has a huge black out. If you know something in general but you forgot it in this moment. Than you are standing on a garden hose.

greetings

Herbststurm said:
Hello

Is that similar to going down the wooden track (auf dem holzen Bahn oder etwas? Es is eine lange Zeit sinds ich deutsch geschrieben habe)

redargon said:
Is that similar to going down the wooden track (auf dem holzen Bahn oder etwas? Es is eine lange Zeit sinds ich deutsch geschrieben habe)

Hi,

no it is not similar. What you mean is "Sich auf dem Holzweg befinden". This means that somebody has a idea but the idea is wrong. If you do wrong calculations or assumptions than you are going down the wooden track.
The garden hose means black out, not wrong ideas.

greetings

Herbststurm said:
It means that on has a huge black out. If you know something in general but you forgot it in this moment. Than you are standing on a garden hose.
That makes sense, so the idea is somewhere backed up in the garden hose, but since you are standing on it the idea won't come out.

I think we would say "I lost my train of thought" meaning the thought is there on the tracks somewhere, and you just cannot find it right now.

In Norway, that saying is equivalent to saying that you're having an "iron curtain". Dunno if this is used in other countries as well, but it refers to the information block in Europe during the cold war.

Related to Can you explain the basics of Newton's law?

What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are still used in modern physics to explain the movement of objects.

What is the first law of motion?

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is the second law of motion?

The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. It also means that the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

What is the third law of motion?

The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

How do these laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion can be seen in many everyday situations, such as when a soccer ball comes to a stop after being kicked, a car accelerates when the gas pedal is pressed, or a book remains on a table until someone picks it up. These laws also apply to more complex systems, such as the movement of planets in our solar system.