Can You Drive a DC Motor at Maximum Speed with Batteries?

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of running a DC motor at high speeds (up to 12000 RPM) with batteries, specifically for use in a centrifuge to obtain blood samples in rural areas. The conversation discusses using a battery-powered drill and converting it into a centrifuge, as well as the potential use of an inverter or a DC/DC converter to power the centrifuge. The weight and transportation aspects of the power system, as well as the power demand and recharging options, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with suggestions for further research and consideration in order to successfully power the centrifuge in a remote location.
reinaldo
Hey Everybody!...i have an Inquiry!...

Can you run a motor of maximun 12000 RPM with batteries??...

I mean...can you drive a DC motor of those speeds with batteries??...or perhaps can you do an adaptation so you can plug it to the AC line of the Alternator in the car so you can use the motor on outsides?...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Just remember; with a DC motor Voltage=speed and Current=torque
If you have a motor rated at X volts at Y rpm then it will run Y rpm at X volts, however, you may need current enough to turn it (torque).

ok here's the thing...i work at a Hospital in the medical equipment section...we need to go to a Rural (country) deep in the "jungle" zone to obtain Blood samples of the people...

what i want to do is to modify the circuit of a Blood Centrifuge so we can take it to the jungle and perhaps run it with batteries to take the blood samples...

so do you think its possible?...to run a Blood Centrifuge with batteries?...im thinking yes...cause the new Hand Drills run with batteries!

Then there is your answer. Convert a drill battery to use with the centrifuge. If it will supply enough amps and last long enough to process then you are in business. Test it out. The centrifuge should give an amp or watt rating on it. The drill battery will also. From this you can estimate power requirement and how long it should run. Baterries have to be recharged.

Instead use a gear box with high transmission ratio and supply less energy or better drive manually. At least it is fail proof.

reinaldo said:
ok here's the thing...i work at a Hospital in the medical equipment section...we need to go to a Rural (country) deep in the "jungle" zone to obtain Blood samples of the people...

what i want to do is to modify the circuit of a Blood Centrifuge so we can take it to the jungle and perhaps run it with batteries to take the blood samples...

so do you think its possible?...to run a Blood Centrifuge with batteries?...im thinking yes...cause the new Hand Drills run with batteries!
What do you plug your centrifuge into now?
If you are using a vehicle of some sort to go back country, then you already have a battery.
Depending on the centrifuge requirements an inverter (for AC mains) or DC/DC converter (for some sort of DC power source)

Im thinking to buy a Good Batterie Powered Drill...open it and modified it to conver it into a Blood Centrifuge!...and design the digital circuit to control its RPMs and the time...

so do you think its a good idea??...will the batteries withstand the Power needed??...

or maybe could a plug to the Car`s Batterie??...im thinking...with the Car turned on...the alternator will work...the motor won't stall...so i would connect it to the batterie and then i would have the power needed...

If you will have access to a car in the field, then NoTime's suggestion of an inverter would be the easiest way to do this. Hopefully the centrifuge (or the manual) has it's current or power requirement written on it, you would then buy one that can supply that much power.

As for using the battery and rewiring the centrifuge, you'd need to find out the voltage and current requirements of the motor before choosing a suitable battery. Cordless drill batteries come in a range between 7V and 28V (and maybe more), so you wouldn't just go out and buy any old drill battery without first finding out what is really needed.

A few simple numbers might help in understanding what you need.

First, any setup that gives longer duration of operation will be heavier in weight. If transportation is on the ground, this won't be much of a problem, if any air transportation is involved, a major problem might be encountered.

Batteries are rated in Amp Hours, the larger this number the heavier the battery.
If you use a 12 volt battery, and a 120 volt inverter, this will be a 10 to 1 step up and will give a 120 volt modified sine wave (make sure the centrifuge will operate on a chopped voltage). Pure sine wave inverters are on the market, but at a much higher price (going into the deep jungle on a very tight budget, might not be a good idea) do your research and buy the best of everything you can afford.

For every amp the centrifuge draws, the current from the battery will be around 10 times that much (example of 120V and 5A centrifuge will draw 12V at 50A from the battery).

I don't think i would consider a trip into the deep jungle, without a hand driven (small) 12 volt generator, and a small (as large as possible) solar panel. Test have shown that an average sustained output of human power to be in the 100 to 200 watt range, (12v 10a is 120 watts) an hour or two of hand cranking might be required to recharge a depleted battery to the level of starting an engine.

There are a few people getting into remote power systems, getting one already engineered would be an easy approach.

Things to consider, and learn in detail should be,
1. Physical size and weight of the power conversion system.
2. Power demand of all equipment to be used, (in watts), and how long they will operate at any given process.
3. Recharging of batteries using the (vehicle) engine would be best done only when driving from place to place.
4. How much energy will be used over how much time, what amount of hand power, and solar power could produce the overall needs. Could the man power of the local population be hired to turn a proper sized generator ( how much power in wattage over 24 hours to supply the needed use of equipment during the work day).

Hope this might be a little help in giving you things to look at and consider as you make your plans.:smile:

Ron

Related to Can You Drive a DC Motor at Maximum Speed with Batteries?

What is a DC speed motor with batteries?

A DC speed motor with batteries is a type of electric motor that uses direct current (DC) power from batteries to rotate the motor and control its speed. It is commonly used in small appliances, toys, and other devices that require a variable speed control.

How does a DC speed motor with batteries work?

A DC speed motor with batteries works by converting electrical energy from the batteries into mechanical energy. The batteries supply direct current to the motor, which causes a magnetic field to be created. This magnetic field interacts with the permanent magnets within the motor to produce rotational motion.

What are the advantages of using a DC speed motor with batteries?

There are several advantages to using a DC speed motor with batteries. They are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for use in small devices. They also have a high torque-to-weight ratio, meaning they can produce a lot of rotational force without being too heavy. Additionally, they are easy to control and can be adjusted to run at various speeds.

What are the limitations of a DC speed motor with batteries?

One limitation of a DC speed motor with batteries is that they require a constant power source, as the batteries will eventually run out of charge. This can be inconvenient for devices that require long periods of use. They also have a limited speed range and may not be suitable for high-speed applications.

How can I maintain a DC speed motor with batteries?

To maintain a DC speed motor with batteries, it is important to regularly check the battery levels and replace them when needed. It is also important to keep the motor clean and free of dust and debris, as this can affect its performance. Additionally, following the manufacturer's instructions for proper usage and storage can help prolong the lifespan of the motor.