Can You Determine the Value of A When B Equals 4 in a Trigonometric Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of A when B is equal to 4, given the equations A=3sinx+4cosx and B=3cosx-4sinx. The solution involves solving for x and plugging it into the equation for A, resulting in A=3sin(3π/2) + 4cos(3π/2) = -3. However, a more rigorous approach involves squaring both equations and solving for A, resulting in A=±3.
NotaMathPerson
A=3sinx+4cosx and B=3cosx-4sinx if B = 4 find A.

What i tried is to use 4=3cosx-4sinx and solve for cosx

now cosx = (4+4sinx)/3 plug this into A

I end up getting A = (25sinx+16)/3 am I correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Trigonometric equatio

NotaMathPerson said:
[tex]A\;=\,3\sin x+4\cos x\,\text{ and }\,B\,=\,3\cos x-4\sin x.[/tex]

[tex]\text{If }B = 4.\,\text{ find }A.[/tex]

[tex]\text{If }B = 4,\,\text{then }\,x = \tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Then: }\,A \:=\:3\sin\tfrac{3\pi}{2} + 4\cos\tfrac{3\pi}{2} \:=\:3(-1) + 4(0) \:=\: -3[/tex]

soroban said:
[tex]\text{If }B = 4,\,\text{then }\,x = \tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\text{Then: }\,A \:=\:3\sin\tfrac{3\pi}{2} + 4\cos\tfrac{3\pi}{2} \:=\:3(-1) + 4(0) \:=\: -3[/tex]
Hello soroban!

How did you get the value for x?

I wrote: If [tex]B = 4,\,[/tex] then [tex]x = \tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]
Here is the reasoning behind that claim.

We are given: [tex]B \,=\,3\cos x - 4\sin x[/tex]
. . And we are told that: [tex]B = 4.[/tex]
That is: [tex]3\cos x - 4\sin x \:=\:4[/tex]

This is true if [tex]\cos x = 0[/tex] and [tex]\sin x = -1.[/tex]
Therefore: [tex]x \,=\,\tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

soroban said:
I wrote: If [tex]B = 4,\,[/tex] then [tex]x = \tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]
Here is the reasoning behind that claim.

We are given: [tex]B \,=\,3\cos x - 4\sin x[/tex]
. . And we are told that: [tex]B = 4.[/tex]
That is: [tex]3\cos x - 4\sin x \:=\:4[/tex]

This is true if [tex]\cos x = 0[/tex] and [tex]\sin x = -1.[/tex]
Therefore: [tex]x \,=\,\tfrac{3\pi}{2}[/tex]

This isn't very rigorous, although I am impressed by your intuition :)

I would be more inclined to try to solve the problem directly...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} A &= 3\sin{(x)} + 4\cos{(x)} \\ B &= 3\cos{(x)} - 4\sin{(x)} \\ \\ A^2 &= \left[ 3\sin{(x)} + 4\cos{(x)} \right] ^2 \\ B^2 &= \left[ 3\cos{(x)} - 4\sin{(x)} \right] ^2 \\ \\ A^2 &= 9\sin^2{(x)} + 24\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + 16\cos^2{(x)} \\ B^2 &= 9\cos^2{(x)} - 24\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + 16\sin^2{(x)} \\ \\ A^2 + B^2 &= 9\sin^2{(x)} + 24\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + 16\cos^2{(x)} + 9\cos^2{(x)} - 24\sin{(x)}\cos{(x)} + 16\sin^2{(x)} \\ A^2 + B^2 &= 25\left[ \sin^2{(x)} + \cos^2{(x)} \right] \\ A^2 + B^2 &= 25 \\ A^2 + 4^2 &= 25 \\ A^2 + 16 &= 25 \\ A^2 &= 9 \\ A &= \pm 3 \end{align*}$

Now you just have to check for extraneous solutions, as you have had to square the equations to be able to solve them.

Related to Can You Determine the Value of A When B Equals 4 in a Trigonometric Equation?

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are equations that involve one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to model real-life situations and are commonly used in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the variable by using trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity, and algebraic manipulations. You can also use a graphing calculator to find the solutions.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some of the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identity (sin²θ + cos²θ = 1), double angle formulas (sin 2θ = 2 sin θ cos θ), and sum and difference formulas (sin (A ± B) = sin A cos B ± cos A sin B).

4. Can trigonometric equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions, typically in the form of a general solution. The general solution includes the primary solution, which is the smallest positive solution, and all other solutions can be found by adding or subtracting multiples of the period of the trigonometric function.

5. What are some real-life applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are used to model various real-life phenomena such as sound waves, light waves, and ocean tides. They are also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and navigation to calculate angles, distances, and heights.