Can You Convert an AM Spice Rack to FM?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert Fm
In summary, Dave found an AM/FM radio at a thrift store that he wants to convert to FM. He is not an expert electronics hobbyist, and does not know how to change the radio to FM himself. He is looking for a way to convert the radio to FM without having to be an expert. He may be able to buy a radio from a thrift store that is designed to be converted to FM. He is looking for a small radio that will fit into the compartment in the radio and have the controls be resistors that can be mounted off-board. He is also looking for suggestions on a good speaker to put in the radio.
dkotschessaa
Convert AM...spice rack... To FM?

Seriously, this "antique" was a cool little find on our northern road trip and looks neat in our Kitchen (see attached photos).

But it's only AM. I'd like to make it FM. I'm not a major electronics hobbyist, and definitely not an engineer, but I mess with radio shack kits as a kid.

Any kind of easy way to convert this so that I can still use the same controls on the front? I was thinking I could just buy a little radio from a thrift store and pull out the circuit board and replace it. But it has to fit, and the knob has to line up.

-Dave K

Attachments

• Radio 1.jpg
    Radio 1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 417
  • Radio 2.jpg
    Radio 2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 378
Engineering news on Phys.org
thrift store radio sound practical.

The volume control knob you could remove and connect to the old board with twisted wires. The tuning knob probably not, unless it's varactor tuned.

Here's a varactor tuned kit.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=FR1C

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/images/hk/fr1c-W.gif

It's a bit steep,
but whenever I try to save money it's usually equivalent to about 15 cents/hour...

Last edited by a moderator:
Does radio shack or any other place still sell really basic kits for making stuff like this? They did when I was a kid, but now I think it's all cell phones and commercial stuff.

Of course it would have to be small enough to go into that little compartment you see there in the photo. I don't suppose there's away to rewire the existing board or something. (Sorry, my knowledge of this stuff is very bad).

It's not practical to change an AM radio to FM.
No good AM stations in your neighborhood?

I'd stick with your idea of a thrift store radio and clever mechanical design to work the tuner. The volume control should be easy to replace with one located off-board.
Your knobs look big enough to hide the mounting nut.

Another option - hinge that panel and place a nice digital tuned radio back there, and install a better speaker.
My kids are proficient in "Bluetooth" . If your computer is so equipped you could listen to internet radio.
But I'm still in vacuum tubes.

I gave up on Radio Shack decades ago.

I've bought from these folks before
and they carry a radio that looks like a candidate for your project:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=320-170
http://d2oiekhouywd6z.cloudfront.net/images/products/anchor/320-170_a.jpg

zoom in on the RV1 and RV2 - volume and tuning controls - they both LOOK like resistors.
One could buy old style resistors and mount them in your panel, wire to board.
Look at back of your knobs - probably they're for standard [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] inch shaft.

Inquire of them if the controls are indeed resistors and if the speaker is 4 or 8 ohm.
If so you can run wires to substitutes in your panel..
when buying a volume control you want something called "Audio Taper" or Log Taper". The ear is logarithmic you see, so volume controls are too.

Got my fingers crossed for you -

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Converting an AM spice rack to FM would require significant modifications and technical expertise. It is not a simple process and would likely involve replacing the entire circuit board and making adjustments to the knobs and controls. It may be possible, but it would require specialized knowledge and equipment. It may be more practical to simply purchase a new FM spice rack or a separate FM radio to use alongside the AM spice rack.

Related to Can You Convert an AM Spice Rack to FM?

What is the difference between AM and FM?

The main difference between AM (Amplitude Modulation) and FM (Frequency Modulation) is how the information is transmitted. AM transmits information by varying the amplitude of the radio wave, while FM transmits information by varying the frequency of the radio wave.

Why would someone want to convert their AM spice rack to FM?

Converting an AM spice rack to FM allows for a wider range of frequencies to be used, meaning that more information can be transmitted. This can result in better sound quality and less interference.

What are the steps to convert an AM spice rack to FM?

The steps to convert an AM spice rack to FM will vary depending on the specific spice rack and the equipment used. Generally, it involves replacing the AM radio module with an FM radio module, which may require some soldering and wiring. It is recommended to consult the instruction manual or seek professional help for specific instructions.

Is it possible to convert an AM spice rack to FM without replacing the radio module?

No, it is not possible to convert an AM spice rack to FM without replacing the radio module. The AM and FM radio modules operate differently and are not interchangeable.

Are there any benefits to using an FM spice rack over an AM spice rack?

Yes, there are several benefits to using an FM spice rack over an AM spice rack. FM offers better sound quality, less interference, and a wider range of frequencies to choose from. Additionally, FM is less affected by physical obstacles, such as walls or buildings, compared to AM.