Can You Build a Compact Beeping and Vibrating Radio Receiver at Home?

In summary, a radio transmitter/receiver like a child locator would have a receiver that beeps or vibrates when the transmitter is close by, and the transmitter could be adjusted to various distances. It would be small and likely not possible to build at home, but a commercially made unit is available.
lightwait
First, I know nothing at all about this topic, which is why I'm looking for help. I'm interested in building a radio transmitter/receiver like a child locator at home. The difference would be I'd like the receiver to beep rather than the transmitter, if that's even the correct language to use. For example, if your kid (or cell phone, briefcase, etc.) strays too far, your transmitter automatically beeps and/or vibrates at a certain distance. I'm trying to find out the following questions: 2. How to have the receiver both vibrate and beep. 3. Would it be possible to have the transmitter be adjustable to various distances. 4. How small could the receiver be? 5. How much it would cost to build this at home, using the smallest units for each .Essentially I'd like the receiver to be able to fit on the back of a phone, key ring, etc., and the transmitter to be similar in size. I understand this is a lot of information, so any help is greatly appreciated, I'm at square one right now. Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi lightwait
welcome to PF

2. How to have the receiver both vibrate and beep.

Thats not a problem

3. Would it be possible to have the transmitter be adjustable to various distances.

no as there are too many variables that determine a distance a signal travels

event where there are no objects to reflect and absorb the radio signal even a very low level signal say 10mW ( milliWatts) can travel 100's of metres or more

4. How small could the receiver be?

you could have the unit small enough to be on a key ring ... those already exist for use as key finders

5. How much it would cost to build this at home, using the smallest units for each .Essentially I'd like the receiver to be able to fit on the back of a phone, key ring, etc., and the transmitter to be similar in size.

The major design problems are the small size required, its not likely to be able to be done as a home project. Most radio technicians would not be able to produce the required circuitry small enough to do that. ie woould probably need to be commercially made

The biggest overall problem wouold be powering the TX and RX units, even those lost key finders chew through batteries very very quickly. That really is what makes it impractable

There are small transmitter and receiver units out there likehttp://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=75 units They are easy to use but still require other electronics around them to produce a functions system to meet requirements

Dave

lightwait said:
First, I know nothing at all about this topic, which is why I'm looking for help. I'm interested in building a radio transmitter/receiver like a child locator at home. The difference would be I'd like the receiver to beep rather than the transmitter,
Would the child be wearing the receiver? Or the transmitter?

The child, or in the instance I'd like to try- cell phone, wallet, etc. would have the receiver. So whenever the receiver reaches a certain distance you would be alerted. Thanks for the reply davenn, that's very helpful for pointing me in the right direction.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your project. Building a homemade radio transmitter/receiver can be a fun and challenging project, but it is important to proceed with caution and ensure that all safety protocols are followed.

To answer your questions:

2. How to have the receiver both vibrate and beep: This can be achieved by incorporating both a vibrating motor and a speaker into the receiver. The motor will produce the vibration while the speaker will produce the beep sound.

3. Would it be possible to have the transmitter be adjustable to various distances: Yes, it is possible to have an adjustable transmitter. This can be achieved by using a variable resistor or potentiometer in the circuit. This will allow you to adjust the distance at which the transmitter will beep or vibrate.

4. How small could the receiver be: The size of the receiver will depend on the components used and the complexity of the circuit. It is possible to make a compact receiver that can fit on a phone or key ring, but it may require advanced soldering skills and careful placement of components.

5. How much it would cost to build this at home, using the smallest units for each: The cost will vary depending on the components used and where they are purchased. It is important to research and compare prices to get the best deal. Additionally, it is important to consider the cost of tools and equipment needed for the project.

In conclusion, building a homemade radio transmitter/receiver can be a fun and rewarding project. However, it is important to have a good understanding of electronics and follow safety protocols. I recommend doing thorough research and consulting with experienced individuals before starting the project. Good luck!

Related to Can You Build a Compact Beeping and Vibrating Radio Receiver at Home?

1. What materials do I need to build a homemade radio unit?

To build a homemade radio unit, you will need a diode, a capacitor, a resistor, an antenna, a variable capacitor, a coil of wire, and a battery or power source. You may also need a breadboard and some basic tools such as wire cutters and pliers.

2. How does a homemade radio unit work?

A homemade radio unit works by using the antenna to pick up radio waves from the air. These waves are then converted into electrical signals by the diode, which are then amplified and filtered by the capacitor and resistor. The variable capacitor and coil of wire help to tune in to specific radio frequencies, and the battery or power source provides the necessary energy to power the unit.

3. Can I use any type of antenna for my homemade radio unit?

Yes, you can use various types of antennas for your homemade radio unit, such as a wire antenna or a telescopic antenna. The type of antenna you use will depend on the specific frequency you want to pick up and the strength of the radio waves in your area.

4. How can I improve the reception of my homemade radio unit?

To improve the reception of your homemade radio unit, you can try moving the antenna to a different location or using a longer antenna. You can also experiment with different types of capacitors and resistors to find the best combination for your unit. Additionally, reducing noise and interference in your surroundings can also improve reception.

5. Is it safe to build and use a homemade radio unit?

As long as you follow proper safety precautions and use the correct components and materials, building and using a homemade radio unit is generally safe. However, it is always recommended to have a basic understanding of electronics and to consult with a professional if you have any concerns.