Can Wormholes Accurately Determine Points in Space and Time?

In summary: It would be possible to send a probe through the wormhole and determine the coordinates of the other end but that would be it. You'd have no way of knowing how far away from the probe the other end was or what the conditions might be like there. The accuracy is going to be limited by the accuracy of our knowledge at the time the probe is sent through the wormhole. If we know the location of the other end of the wormhole to within a few kilometers then our accuracy would be good but if we are unsure of the coordinates we might be off by a few kilometers or more.Second question; if our far-future selves were able to travel through a wormhole to another point in space and time,
dismas
Hello there. This is my first post here but just spent the last couple of hours browsing the forums. There seems to be some pretty smart people here and so I would like enlist their help in helping me understand some of the principles of time and space.

A little background; My name is Nick Dismas, I am 24 and live in Manchester, England. I am working to become a freelance writer and illustrator and at the moment I have an idea for a story that I am interested in pursuing. At the moment though that's all it is; an idea.

In a nutshell you might say it's a time travel story, and so it is this the main area I'm looking for information. I've spent the past few weeks reading various texts but to my right-handed brain this has raised more questions than it's answered. I get the feeling that by mentioning that I want to develop a time travel story that there will be a collective groan across the forum, but I hope you'll understand that the time travel is merely a vehicle for a more character driven plot-line. However, I want to make sure that this story if based as much on science-fact (or at least credible science-theory) as possible.

I feel like I'm rambling. Sorry.

So, to start with; I think I've settled on wormholes as the method for the (backwards) time travel. Our highly advanced far-future selves developing the ability to fabricate and sustain an Einstein-Rosen bridge (that right?) and move through it to other points in space and time.

First question; how would you expect to be able to determine a given point in space and time and how accurate would you expect this determination to be?

Okay, that was two questions, but you get the idea.

Okay... go!

Dis

Physics news on Phys.org
dismas said:
First question; how would you expect to be able to determine a given point in space and time and how accurate would you expect this determination to be?
I don't think that theory is likely to determine when and where the end point of a wormhole would come out and it would be necessary to actually build some and study the characteristics empirically. The time is probably the same for co-moving observers at each end of the wormhole (that is "now" here is the same as "now" there) but you'd need a synchronization mechanism to be sure and I'm not positive I'm right about that.

The "where" is likely to be the problem.

Related to Can Wormholes Accurately Determine Points in Space and Time?

1. What is the purpose of conducting research?

The purpose of conducting research is to gather information and evidence to answer a specific question or solve a problem. It helps us understand the world around us and make informed decisions.

2. How do I know if the information I find is reliable?

To determine the reliability of information, you should consider the source, check for any bias or conflicts of interest, and look for supporting evidence from multiple credible sources.

3. What are the different types of research methods?

The main types of research methods are qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods. Qualitative research involves collecting non-numerical data through interviews, observations, or surveys. Quantitative research uses numerical data and statistical analysis to answer research questions. Mixed methods combine both qualitative and quantitative approaches.

4. How can I access research studies and articles?

Research studies and articles can be accessed through academic databases, such as JSTOR or PubMed, which require a subscription. Google Scholar is also a useful tool for finding free, open-access articles. Additionally, many universities and libraries offer access to these resources.

5. What is the difference between primary and secondary sources?

Primary sources are original materials that provide first-hand information, such as research studies, diaries, or letters. Secondary sources interpret or analyze primary sources, such as textbooks or articles that summarize research studies.