Can we visually detect subparticles using visible light?

• I
  • Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
In summary: I was expecting to see something like a point particle as the electrons are presented in textbooksIf a photon hits your eye, it will excite some rod or cone in your retina. I think it takes many photons to excite the retinal cell to a level where it "registers". So you'll get some point spread due to the fact that you have a distribution of many photons hitting many points in your eye.As far as various fast particles hitting your eye -- maybe you'll see some blue glow due to ionizations in your vitreous matter. And you probably should get out of there.
kent davidge
If we shine visible light on a electron (or place it on a electric field), the electron would re-emit that visible light so that we can see it. Not directly with our eyes, because its high velocity, but maybe with a sophisticated camera. Why is it not possible?

And I am sorry for my poor English

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
If we shine visible light on a electron (or place it on a electric field), the electron would re-emit that visible light so that we can see it.
This is called Thomson scattering

Dale said:
This is called Thomson scattering
Then where can I find a real image of an electron ?

kent davidge said:
On the face of a Cathode Ray Tube... :smile:

Likes davenn
kent davidge said:
What can you tell me about photography. What can you tell me about Thomson scattering? Think it through a bit. Research CCD detectors and their sensitivity. Research the thermal speed of a typical electron. Then try to answer your own question.

Likes kent davidge
Oh cool. Is there a link to some website to a image of an electron captured either by STM or CCD on internet? And I was wondering if in the Compton Scattering it's possible to cause the electron to emit visible light if we drop visible light on it and the scattered photon is emitted at an angle of 0°. Is it possible?

berkeman said:
On the face of a Cathode Ray Tube... :smile:

Ridiculous!... Is a white patch on a black and white photograph an 'image of a photon'

lychette said:
Ridiculous!... Is a white patch on a black and white photograph an 'image of a photon'
I was expecting to see something like a point particle as the electrons are presented in textbooks

Last edited:
If a photon hits your eye, it will excite some rod or cone in your retina. I think it takes many photons to excite the retinal cell to a level where it "registers". So you'll get some point spread due to the fact that you have a distribution of many photons hitting many points in your eye.

As far as various fast particles hitting your eye -- maybe you'll see some blue glow due to ionizations in your vitreous matter. And you probably should get out of there.

Likes kent davidge

Related to Can we visually detect subparticles using visible light?

1. How can subparticles be seen?

Subparticles can be seen using advanced technologies such as particle accelerators and detectors. These tools allow scientists to observe particles by analyzing their interactions with other particles.

2. Can subparticles be seen with the naked eye?

No, subparticles are too small to be seen with the naked eye. They are much smaller than the wavelengths of visible light, making them impossible to see without the use of specialized equipment.

3. How do scientists know that subparticles exist if they cannot be seen?

Scientists have conducted numerous experiments and observations that provide evidence for the existence of subparticles. Additionally, mathematical models and theories have been developed to explain the behavior and properties of subparticles.

4. Can different types of subparticles be distinguished from each other?

Yes, scientists are able to distinguish between different types of subparticles based on their unique properties and behaviors. This allows them to classify and study different particles in more detail.

5. How do subparticles contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying subparticles allows scientists to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in developing theories and models that explain the origins and behavior of the universe.