Can we measure any two of the energy, momentum or mass simultaneously?

In summary: In relativistic QM, these equations are still satisfied, but the total energy depends on the position of the particle.
SEYED2001
TL;DR Summary
I wonder between which two quantities of this set: energy, momentum, and mass, there is an uncertainty principle going on. Can I measure any two of those at the same time?
I want to know between which two quantities of energy, momentum, and mass there is an uncertainty principle going on. Can I measure any two of those at the same time? If yes, which ones?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
All of them. There is no uncertainty relationship between them.

Likes SEYED2001
Thank you very much for your fast reply.

We can measure energy, mass and momentum of an electron, all at the same time. Now, does the relativistic energy equation work in order to relate them? So, if I measure mass and energy, can I calculate what the momentum would be if I was to measure it?

SEYED2001 said:
We can measure energy, mass and momentum of an electron, all at the same time. Now, does the relativistic energy equation work in order to relate them? So, if I measure mass and energy, can I calculate what the momentum would be if I was to measure it?

QM is a non-relativistic theory. Technically, therefore, the energy and momentum of a particle are related by the classical equation ##E = \frac {p^2} {2m}##.

Likes SEYED2001
Thank you for your reply. So, if i measure E, p and m, these values theoretically satisfy the classical equation, and not the relativistic one. Now, what if I don't do any measurement. If I don't, there wouldn't be any definite value for any of the above-mentioned quantities. However, those quantities do have a distribution of values. In other words, I measure the energy of the electron and I get a number. If I do it again, with an interval between the two measurements, I might not get the same number in the second measurement, and the same goes for the fourth, fifth, etc. Now, I make a distribution of these values and calculate some statistical parameters, such as expected value, mode,etc. for each of energy, momentum and mass distribution. Is the classical and/or the relativistic energy equation practical for relating these parameters of these distributions to each other? For example, can I put the mean for energy and momentum distributions in the classical equation and get the mean for the mass distribution? If no, what about the mode of these distributions, or any other well-defined statistical parameter? Can we ever relate the distribution of energy, momentum and mass to each other?

SEYED2001 said:
Thank you for your reply. So, if i measure E, p and m, these values theoretically satisfy the classical equation, and not the relativistic one. Now, what if I don't do any measurement. If I don't, there wouldn't be any definite value for any of the above-mentioned quantities. However, those quantities do have a distribution of values. In other words, I measure the energy of the electron and I get a number. If I do it again, with an interval between the two measurements, I might not get the same number in the second measurement, and the same goes for the fourth, fifth, etc. Now, I make a distribution of these values and calculate some statistical parameters, such as expected value, mode,etc. for each of energy, momentum and mass distribution. Is the classical and/or the relativistic energy equation practical for relating these parameters of these distributions to each other? For example, can I put the mean for energy and momentum distributions in the classical equation and get the mean for the mass distribution? If no, what about the mode of these distributions, or any other well-defined statistical parameter? Can we ever relate the distribution of energy, momentum and mass to each other?
How are you learning QM? Do you have a textbook?

First, the mass of an electron is a fixed quantity, like its charge. Mass is not a dynamic quantity that changes from measurement to measurement. For a free particle, energy and momentum are related. If you measure the KE, you have measured the magnitude of the momentum. And, if you measure the momentum, you have measured the energy.

Where a potential is involved, the total energy depends also on position. Have you studied something like the infinite square well or the harmonic oscillator?

And, have you seen Ehrenfest's theorem? This essentially says that the expected values of quantum obsevables obey classical laws. Such as:
$$m\frac{d}{dt}\langle x \rangle(t) = \langle p \rangle(t)$$

This is of course nonsense! All experiments in high-energy-particle physics clearly show that the relativistic energy-momentum relation is the correct one. The Standard Model describes very well all experimental facts. For free particles, energy and momentum are compatible observables, and mass is thus compatible too, because it's a function of these quantities.

There's a subtlety in the Ehrenfest theorem in non-relativistic QM too, and the expectation values satisfy not the same equations as the corresponding classical system (except for free particles, a particle under influence of a constant force or in a harmonic-oscillator potential), because
$$\mathrm{d}_t \langle \vec{p} \rangle = -\left \langle \partial_{\vec{x}} V(\vec{x}) \right \rangle \neq -\partial_{\langle \vec{x} \rangle} V(\langle{\vec{x}} \rangle).$$

PeroK said:

First, the mass of an electron is a fixed quantity, like its charge. Mass is not a dynamic quantity that changes from measurement to measurement. For a free particle, energy and momentum are related. If you measure the KE, you have measured the magnitude of the momentum. And, if you measure the momentum, you have measured the energy.

Where a potential is involved, the total energy depends also on position. Have you studied something like the infinite square well or the harmonic oscillator?

And, have you seen Ehrenfest's theorem? This essentially says that the expected values of quantum obsevables obey classical laws. Such as:

Thank you all for your help. I got my answer :)

PeroK said:

In fact I don't know which textbook out there works best for me. I will post a question here at PF to hopefully find an answer. Thank you!

Related to Can we measure any two of the energy, momentum or mass simultaneously?

1. Can we measure energy and momentum simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to measure energy and momentum simultaneously. This is because energy and momentum are related through the equation E = pc, where E is energy, p is momentum, and c is the speed of light.

2. Is it possible to measure energy and mass at the same time?

No, it is not possible to measure energy and mass at the same time. This is because energy and mass are two different properties of an object and cannot be measured simultaneously.

3. How do we measure momentum?

Momentum can be measured by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. This can be done using various instruments such as a scale to measure mass and a speedometer to measure velocity.

4. Can we measure energy and momentum of a subatomic particle simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to measure the energy and momentum of a subatomic particle simultaneously. This is because the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we know its position, does not apply to subatomic particles.

5. How does measuring energy and momentum simultaneously affect the accuracy of the measurements?

Measuring energy and momentum simultaneously does not affect the accuracy of the measurements. This is because energy and momentum are both conserved quantities and their values will not change during the measurement process.