Can we lift water more than 10.3m using atmosphere pressure?

In summary, the design of a solar heated pump is possible, but would require a valve to stop the air from exiting the water inlet pipe at night.
Anubhab2000
I'm trying to design a solar heated (non electrical pump) ..but by theory when we are lifting water by using vacuum and atmospheric pressure the weight of water after rising 10.3 m is equal to the atmospheric pressure created by vacuum ,so they cancel out..so is it impossible to lift water using vacuum and atmospheric pressure ? I'm posting the design of my Solar heated pump soon

Physics news on Phys.org
Capture123.JPG

It will be lifted higher if the water is coming from a confined overpressured aquifer.

I see one key problem with the drawing. You show water flowing into the tank at the same time that air is flowing out of the tank. Either one is possible separately. But both at the same time is not possible as drawn.

Likes davenn
jbriggs444 said:
I see one key problem with the drawing. You show water flowing into the tank at the same time that air is flowing out of the tank. Either one is possible separately. But both at the same time is not possible as drawn.

Agreed, I envision that it would have to be valved. During the day the sun heats the tank and the air is expelled ( to don't see the purpose of it going into the aquifer ?? ) and a valve stops the air going out the water inlet pipe
At nite, the tank cools and the air outlet valve closes and water is drawn up into the tank by the lower pressure through the water inlet pipe and it's now open valveI do doubt that the pressure difference created in the tank would be enough to draw water up any great heightDave

Likes jbriggs444
davenn said:
I do doubt that the pressure difference created in the tank would be enough to draw water up any great height
Agreed. One would have to have very hot water for the vapor pressure to amount to a significant fraction of atmospheric pressure. Boiling water could get you just about 10 meters.

A staged design would be technically possible, though likely impractical. There are more efficient ways to harvest solar power to pump water.

Wasn't there a purely fluidic Stirling Cycle water pump, which slowly 'sloshed' ?? Several of these, staged, might work, albeit at very low efficiency.

And don't forget the old-style 'homestead' hydraulic jack ( Not the truck-lifter type !) which discarded most of a piped water flow diverted from a stream to pump the rest uphill...

hmm

Related to Can we lift water more than 10.3m using atmosphere pressure?

1. How does atmospheric pressure affect the lifting of water?

Atmospheric pressure plays a crucial role in the lifting of water. It is the force exerted by the weight of the air above a certain point. The higher the atmospheric pressure, the greater the force pushing down on the water, making it more difficult to lift.

2. What is the maximum height that water can be lifted using atmospheric pressure?

The maximum height that water can be lifted using atmospheric pressure is approximately 10.3 meters. This is because at this height, the weight of the water column is equal to the atmospheric pressure pushing down on it, creating a state of equilibrium.

3. Can we lift water more than 10.3m using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for lifting water to heights higher than 10.3 meters. These include using pumps or pressurized systems, such as hydraulic systems. These methods involve applying external forces to the water to overcome the weight and atmospheric pressure.

4. Is it possible to lift water higher than 10.3m using only atmospheric pressure?

No, it is not possible to lift water higher than 10.3 meters using only atmospheric pressure. This is due to the limitations of the force exerted by atmospheric pressure and the weight of the water column. Other methods, as mentioned, are needed to lift water to higher heights.

5. What other factors can affect the lifting of water using atmospheric pressure?

Other factors that can affect the lifting of water using atmospheric pressure include temperature, altitude, and the density of the water. Higher temperatures can decrease atmospheric pressure, making it more difficult to lift water. Altitude also affects atmospheric pressure, with higher altitudes having lower atmospheric pressure. The density of the water can also affect how high it can be lifted using atmospheric pressure, as denser liquids require more force to be lifted.