Can we demontrate the convergence of perturbation quantum field theory?

In summary: B4.In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of perturbation series in quantum field theory and the usefulness of the perturbative method despite its potentially divergent nature. The concept of divergent asymptotic series and its relationship to approximation accuracy is also mentioned. Reference is given to Dyson's argument for the divergence of the perturbation series in QED and a resource for further explanation is provided.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
Can we demontrate the convergence of perturbation series of quantum field theory(Feymann
diagrams) after making the renormalizing procedure? If we can't demontrate that,why we still consider the perturbative method using in quantum field theory being useful and believable theory?
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry,I have had an wrong spelling:"demontrate",I mean "demonstrate".I am Vietnamese

ndung200790 said:
Please teach me this:
Can we demontrate the convergence of perturbation series of quantum field theory(Feymann
diagrams) after making the renormalizing procedure? If we can't demontrate that,why we still consider the perturbative method using in quantum field theory being useful and believable theory?

The renormalized perturbation series of QED is most likely divergent (and corresponding series in certain simpler l2-dimensional theories are provably divergent). But divergent asymptotic series often give useful approximations, and in case of QED even very accurate ones!

Please explain for me what is divergent asymtotic series.It is seem to me that being convergent series,the higher power in series,the more acurate approximation.But in devergent series,the higher power, the less acurate approximation.

This reference contains some discussion, including a brief statement of Dyson's intuitive argument:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0508017"

Last edited by a moderator:
ndung200790 said:
Please explain for me what is divergent asymptotic series.It is seem to me that being convergent series,the higher power in series,the more accurate approximation. But in divergent series, the higher power, the less accurate the approximation.

Only for sufficiently high power -- there is a difference between the limit and the approximation quality of a few terms, truncating at a fixed power. For QED, the basic arguments for the divergence of the perturbation series are given in

F.J. Dyson,
Divergence of perturbation theory in quantum electrodynamics,
Phys. Rev. 85 (1952), 613--632.

Things are explained in detail in the entry ''Summing divergent series'' of Chapter B4 of my theoretical physics FAQ at http://arnold-neumaier.at/physfaq/physics-faq.html

Related to Can we demontrate the convergence of perturbation quantum field theory?

1. What is perturbation quantum field theory?

Perturbation quantum field theory is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of quantum systems, particularly in the presence of small perturbations or disturbances. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, and is used to make predictions about the behavior of particles and fields at the microscopic level.

2. How do we demonstrate the convergence of perturbation quantum field theory?

The convergence of perturbation quantum field theory is demonstrated through mathematical calculations and analysis. This involves evaluating the perturbation series, which is a series of mathematical expressions that describe the effects of perturbations on the system. If the series converges, it means that the theory is able to accurately predict the behavior of the system.

3. What are some applications of perturbation quantum field theory?

Perturbation quantum field theory has many applications in physics, including in the study of particle physics, condensed matter physics, and the behavior of atoms and molecules. It is also used in quantum field theory calculations for high-energy physics, such as in the study of the interactions between elementary particles.

4. What are the challenges in demonstrating the convergence of perturbation quantum field theory?

One of the main challenges in demonstrating the convergence of perturbation quantum field theory is the complexity of the mathematical calculations involved. The perturbation series can become very complicated, making it difficult to evaluate and determine if it converges. Additionally, there may be non-perturbative effects that cannot be captured by the perturbation theory, which can also affect the convergence of the theory.

5. How does perturbation quantum field theory relate to other quantum theories?

Perturbation quantum field theory is a subset of quantum field theory, which is a broader framework that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is also closely related to other quantum theories, such as non-relativistic quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics. However, perturbation quantum field theory specifically focuses on the behavior of quantum systems under small perturbations, making it a useful tool in understanding the behavior of complex systems.