Can we define arithmetic sequences in R^2 using two-dimensional indices?

In summary, an arithmetic sequence in R2 can be defined as x_n = a + mb, where a, b, and m are all in R2. This can also be written as x_n = (a_1 + mb_1, a_2 + mb_2). Another approach is to use the recursion x_n+1 = x_n + d, where d is a constant. This can be extended to a system of recurrence relations for two-dimensional indices, resulting in x_m,n = x0,0 + md1 + nd2.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether one could define arithmetic sequences in R^2 in a simmilar manner as in R.?

Here is what i see as a natural way of doing it, but neither have i read about it, nor heard.

[tex] \mbox{ Let } x_n \in R^2 \mbox{ be a sequence given as follows : } x_n=a+mb\\, \mbox{ where } a,b,m\in R^2.[/tex]

[tex]\mbox{ That is, } a=(a_1,a_2),b=(b_1,b_2),m=(m_1,m_2). \mbox { So, } x_n=(a_1+m_1b_1,a_2+m_2b_2). \mbox{ We call such a sequence an arithmetic sequence in } R^2.[/tex]

Would this definition be valid? If so, i believe one could define an arithmetic or geometric sequence in R^n as well. Right?

EDIT: Or maybe on a second thought i think that the following change would be better:

[tex] x_n=(a_1+nb_1,a_2+nb_2)=(a_{1n},a_{2n}). \mbox{ That is letting } m=(m_1,m_2)=(n,n).[/tex]

Thnx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second idea is better. (can you explain why? I can name two reasons...)

Really, all you want is a recursion
xn+1 = xn + d​
right? This makes sense in any context where you have "addition". (you probably want "addition" to be commutative and associative)

In R2, you might wish to consider a sequence with two-dimensional indices satisfying
xm+1,n = xm,n + d1
xm,n+1 = xm,n + d2
which, of course, can be put in closed form
xm,n = x0,0 + m d1 + n d2

(Hrm. Maybe this is what you were trying to think about with your first idea?)

Hurkyl said:
Your second idea is better. (can you explain why? I can name two reasons...)

Really, all you want is a recursion
xn+1 = xn + d​
right? This makes sense in any context where you have "addition". (you probably want "addition" to be commutative and associative)

Well, the reason why i decided to make that change was because previously my indicies were two-dimensional, and i wanted them to be one-dimensional(i.e. from Z+.) So, setting m=(n,n) took care of that, in some sense. Is this one of your two reasons?or?

Hurkyl said:
In R2, you might wish to consider a sequence with two-dimensional indices satisfying
xm+1,n = xm,n + d1
xm,n+1 = xm,n + d2

(Hrm. Maybe this is what you were trying to think about with your first idea?)

Any hints as how to put this in closed form? I can generally work with recurrence relations, but haven't worked before with systems of recurrence relations!

EDIT: Don't give me any hints for a couple more minutes! I will come back again. I think i have an idea that might work.

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
Any hints as how to put this in closed form? I can generally work with recurrence relations, but haven't worked before with systems of recurrence relations!
Then work with one recurrence at a time! (e.g. what if the second index is a constant?)

The bigger problem I saw with your first idea is that it's constant -- n has no relation to anything else. The other one was a rather minor one -- while one can define multiplication of R-tuples "pointwise", it's not often something you mean to use.

Hurkyl said:
Then work with one recurrence at a time! (e.g. what if the second index is a constant?).
THis was exactly my idea!

This is more what i was trying to do the first time.

In other words, let the indices be from Z+, but the outcome, that is the sequence [tex]\{x_n\}[/tex] be from [tex]R^2[/tex], where [tex]x_n=(a_{1n},a_{2n}).[/tex]

EDIT: I got this part...then from the recurrence relation

[tex]x_{n+1}=x_n+d=>x_n=x_o+nd, \mbox{ with } x_o,d \in R^2.[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:
Hurkyl said:
xm+1,n = xm,n + d1
xm,n+1 = xm,n + d2

I believe i got it. Here we go:

[tex]\mbox{ First let n=const, then } m=0=>x_{1,n}=x_{0,n}+d_1 [/tex]

[tex]m=1=> x_{2,n}=x_{0,n}+2d_1[/tex]

[tex]x_{m,n}=x_{0,n}+md_1.[/tex]

Now substituting this in the other relation we get:

[tex] x_{m,n+1}=x_{0,n}+md_1+d_2.[/tex]

In a simmilar fashion as before, one eventually finds that :

[tex]x_{m,n}=x_{0,0}+md_1+nd_2.[/tex]

Related to Can we define arithmetic sequences in R^2 using two-dimensional indices?

1. What is an arithmetic sequence in R^2?

An arithmetic sequence in R^2 is a set of ordered pairs (x,y) where the x-coordinates form an arithmetic sequence. This means that the difference between any two consecutive x-coordinates is constant throughout the sequence.

2. How do you find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence in R^2?

To find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence in R^2, you can subtract any two consecutive x-coordinates. The result will be the same for all pairs in the sequence and represents the common difference.

3. Can an arithmetic sequence in R^2 have a negative common difference?

Yes, an arithmetic sequence in R^2 can have a negative common difference. This means that the x-coordinates will be decreasing in value as you move through the sequence.

4. How do you graph an arithmetic sequence in R^2?

To graph an arithmetic sequence in R^2, plot the ordered pairs on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line. The line will be straight and have a constant slope, representing the common difference.

5. How is an arithmetic sequence in R^2 different from a linear function?

An arithmetic sequence in R^2 is a set of ordered pairs, while a linear function is an equation that describes a line. While both have a constant slope, a linear function can have a y-intercept and can be extended infinitely in both directions, while an arithmetic sequence is a finite set of ordered pairs.