Can USB Cables & Ports Survive Over-Standard Voltage/Current?

• Thread starter cave_cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cables Usb
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using commodity USB cables and ports to power a gadget that requires more voltage and power than what is allowed by the USB standard. While the cables can tolerate higher voltages and currents, the ports are less tolerant and can be damaged if a voltage higher than 5.25V is applied. However, if using custom adapters, it is possible to use USB components as they are easily available.
cave_cat
would commodity usb cables and ports survive an over-standard voltage and current??

suppose we want to make an adapter to power a gadget that require more voltage and power than what is allowed by the USB standard. But, suppose we try to use off-the-shelf USB cable in the above-standard demanding gadget and a USB port where that cable would plug in in the adapter. (For safety purposes maybe we would find a cheap way to slightly alter the "hyper usb plug" and "hyper usb port" so that they would mechanically refuse to interoperate with regular ones, but this is off topic for this question).

Well, so would the usb cable and port survive usage at higher voltage and current? If we did empirical tests on cables and ports from various manufacturers at let's say 8V and 0.7A, should we expect to find at least some that would work fine, or are they explicitly limited according to the standard and so would melt or something like that?

Engineering news on Phys.org

I just happen to have hacked up a USB cable and the wires look to be around .015" diameter conductor with about .010" of insulation.

According to this nice wire table:
http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
#24 is .020" and good for .5A in power transmission mode, which matches the USB spec so maybe it's #24. By pushing your luck and calling it "chassis wiring" you could get up to 3.5A...

Then I found a "spec" for telephone wiring, which is maybe sort of like the USB wire:
http://www.spsx.com/uploadedFiles/Communications_Cable/Docs/PDF/Tech-Guidelines/TG31-Telephone-WireCable.pdf
This indicates that 300v between adjacent conductors is the most one can hope.

So you are probably well within your rights to ask for 8v and .7A out of most any cable...YMMV when taking advice from the internet however...

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm pretty sure USB cables can tolerate much higher voltages and current than the nominal 500 mA for USB 2.0 and 900 mA for USB 3.0. To reach the breakdown voltage of the dielectric used in the cable you would probably have to apply more than 200 V...

However the ports are much less tolerant. Applying a voltage of more than the nominal 5.25 V to a USB port may damage it permanently. But drawing an excessive current out the port is generally not a problem. I've not tested it, but I heared that USB ports are designed to simply shutdown when their power pins are shorted. Once the computer is rebooted everything comes back to normal.

schip666!, thanks for the interesting info.

LotusEffect, yeah, I understand that demanding more power out of an adapter that doesn't feel like giving it (like usb port in laptop) is not a good idea. But my question was predicated on having my own custom adapter that happens to use USB components because they are nice, off-the-shelf available components. So based on what schip666! says, sounds like it's doable.

The cables generally would do fine; it's the IC electronics they are connected to that will have the problem.

Related to Can USB Cables & Ports Survive Over-Standard Voltage/Current?

1. Can USB cables and ports withstand over-standard voltage and current?

Yes, most USB cables and ports are designed to handle a certain range of voltage and current. However, exceeding these limits can cause damage to the cables and potentially the connected devices.

2. What is the maximum voltage and current that USB cables and ports can handle?

The maximum voltage and current that USB cables and ports can handle vary depending on the type and specification of the cable. For USB 2.0 cables, the maximum voltage is 5V and the maximum current is 0.5A. For USB 3.0 and above, the maximum voltage is 5V and the maximum current is 0.9A.

3. What happens if I use a USB cable with a higher voltage or current than recommended?

Using a USB cable with a higher voltage or current than recommended can cause damage to the cable and connected devices. This can result in malfunctioning or completely non-functional devices.

4. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent over-standard voltage and current in USB cables and ports?

Yes, USB cables and ports have built-in safety features such as voltage regulators and current limiters to prevent over-standard voltage and current. However, it is still important to use the recommended voltage and current for optimal performance and to avoid potential damage.

5. How can I ensure that I am using the correct voltage and current for my USB cables and ports?

The best way to ensure you are using the correct voltage and current for your USB cables and ports is to refer to the manufacturer's specifications. You can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current being supplied to your devices through the USB cable.