Can Trigonometric Identities Simplify This Week's Complex Integral?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, when approaching an integral with trigonometric functions, it is important to identify the appropriate trigonometric identities and use algebraic techniques to simplify the expression. The general strategy is to rewrite the expression, simplify it further, and then use integration rules to find the antiderivative. When choosing a trigonometric identity, it is helpful to identify the type of function and refer to a list of common identities. Tips for solving a difficult integral include using symmetry and recognizing patterns. Common mistakes to avoid include not using correct identities, forgetting the constant of integration, and checking the limits of integration.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Evaluate \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^4x+\sin x\cos^3 x+\sin^2 x \cos^2 x+\sin^3 x\cos x}{\sin^4 x+\cos^4 x+2\sin x\cos^3 x+2\sin^2 x \cos^2 x+2\sin^3 x\cos x}\,dx\).

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solution!(Cool)

1. castor28
2. lfdahl

Solution from castor28:
Let us write $I$ for the integral to be evaluated. The integrand can be written as:
$$
1 - \frac{\sin^4x+\sin x\cos^3 x+\sin^2 x \cos^2 x+\sin^3 x\cos x}{\sin^4 x+\cos^4 x+2\sin x\cos^3 x+2\sin^2 x \cos^2 x+2\sin^3 x\cos x}
$$
Using the substitution $x\to\frac{\pi}{2}-x$, the integral of the second term becomes:
\begin{align*}
&-\int_{\frac\pi2}^0\frac{\cos^4x+\cos x\sin^3 x+\cos^2 x \sin^2 x+\cos^3 x\sin x}{\cos^4 x+\sin^4 x+2\cos x\sin^3 x+2\cos^2 x \sin^2 x+2\cos^3 x\sin x}\,dx\\
&= +\int_0^{\frac\pi2}\frac{\cos^4x+\cos x\sin^3 x+\cos^2 x \sin^2 x+\cos^3 x\sin x}{\cos^4 x+\sin^4 x+2\cos x\sin^3 x+2\cos^2 x \sin^2 x+2\cos^3 x\sin x}\,dx\\
&= I
\end{align*}
This leaves us with:
$$
I = \int_0^{\frac\pi2}dx - I
$$
which gives $I = \dfrac\pi4$.

Related to Can Trigonometric Identities Simplify This Week's Complex Integral?

1. How do I approach solving an integral with trigonometric functions?

To solve an integral with trigonometric functions, you need to first identify the trigonometric function(s) involved and then use appropriate trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. You may also need to use substitution or integration by parts to fully solve the integral.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities that can be used to solve integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities used to solve integrals include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities and know when to use them in order to effectively solve integrals with trigonometric functions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve the integral?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving an integral with trigonometric functions by hand. Using a calculator to simply find the answer without understanding the process will not help you in the long run.

4. How do I know which trigonometric substitution to use?

The choice of trigonometric substitution will depend on the form of the integral. Generally, you want to choose a substitution that will simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. This may involve using a trigonometric identity or choosing a substitution that will eliminate a variable or term in the integral.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving an integral with trigonometric functions?

Some tips for solving integrals with trigonometric functions include: being familiar with common trigonometric identities, practicing substitution and integration by parts, checking your work with a calculator, and being patient and persistent in your approach. It may also be helpful to review the steps involved in solving integrals with trigonometric functions before attempting to solve the problem.