Can total angular momentum j be negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the range of total angular momentum values for an electron in a j-j coupling scheme. It is mentioned that the formula for j in this scheme implies that j can be negative, but this is not the case and the textbook may have made this unclear. It is clarified that when summing angular momenta, the quantum number J cannot be negative. The conversation ends with an agreement that the case of l=0 is not special and the values of J can be calculated using the formula J = |j1-j2|, |j1-j2|+1, ..., j1+j2.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

I'm just stuck on one part of a larger problem. I need to find the range of total angular momentum values for an electron in a j-j coupling scheme.

Homework Equations

j= l + and - 1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

The electrons here are in a 5d 6s configuration. So for the second electron, l=0. This means j for the second electron is 0 plus and minus 1/2, so -1/2 and +1/2. This formula for j is what my book says to use with j-j coupling, but it seems to imply that j can be negative, and if that were the case, couldn't then J be a complex number? (Recall J=root(l(l+1))*hbar)
Just a little stumped here, and I want to get this right so I don't screw up the rest of the problem. Thanks for any hints

Physics news on Phys.org
##j## cannot be negative. The ##l = 0## case is a little special. You only get ##j = l + 1/2## in this case. ##j = l - 1/2## is ignored when ##l = 0##

I appreciate the response! Cheers

TSny said:
The ##l = 0## case is a little special. You only get ##j = l + 1/2## in this case. ##j = l - 1/2## is ignored when ##l = 0##
I would disagree that ##l=0## is a special case. When summing angular momenta ##\hat{j}_1## and ##\hat{j}_2## into ##\hat{J} = \hat{j}_1 + \hat{j}_2##, the quantum number ##J## can take the values
$$
J = \left| j_1 - j_2 \right|, \left| j_1 - j_2 \right| + 1, \ldots, j_1 + j_2
$$
The absolute value prevents ##J## from being negative, whatever the relative values of ##j_1## and ##j_2##.

DrClaude said:
I would disagree that ##l=0## is a special case.

Yes, you are right.

From the OP it appears that the textbook might have written ##j = l \pm \frac{1}{2}## when combining the orbital and spin angular momentum of a single electron. Hopefully it was made clear that this doesn't hold for ##l = 0##.

Related to Can total angular momentum j be negative?

1. Can total angular momentum j be negative?

Yes, total angular momentum j can be negative. This is because angular momentum is a vector quantity and can have a direction, which can be either positive or negative.

2. What does a negative total angular momentum j mean?

A negative total angular momentum j indicates that the direction of the angular momentum is opposite to the direction defined as positive. It does not necessarily mean that the magnitude of the angular momentum is smaller, as the direction is also an important component in determining the total angular momentum.

3. Are there any physical systems in which total angular momentum j is negative?

Yes, there are physical systems in which total angular momentum j can be negative. One example is the spin of an electron, which can have a negative value for its total angular momentum. This is because the direction of spin is defined as negative in some systems.

4. How is the total angular momentum j calculated in a system?

The total angular momentum j in a system is calculated by adding up the individual angular momenta of all the components in the system. This includes the orbital angular momentum of the system, as well as the spin angular momenta of each component.

5. Can the total angular momentum j of a system change over time?

Yes, the total angular momentum j of a system can change over time. This can happen if external forces or torques act on the system, causing changes in the direction or magnitude of the individual angular momenta. However, in a closed system where there are no external influences, the total angular momentum j remains constant due to the law of conservation of angular momentum.