Can time be a periodic function in GRFE?

In summary, the Einstein Field Equation does not have a solution where time is a periodic function, meaning the geometry of spacetime is closed up along a timelike dimension. The closest solution is a closed FRW universe that expands and recollapses, but the timelike dimension is not periodic in this scenario. There are still many unsolved solutions to the EFE, and numerical solutions are becoming increasingly useful.
Atlas3
Gold Member
I am learning more about the Einstein Filed Equations. I do not know how to evaluate them. Can someone tell me if time can be a periodic function in the equation for spacetime? i may not have that spacetime correctly stated. Can time periodically vary like a SIN function and still work in the math? I am not just throwing math around. Continuous and counting just varying positive and negative? And what would this do if time parameter went from -1 to 0 to 1 and back again? I am trying to crush my thoughts here.

Space news on Phys.org
Atlas3 said:
Can someone tell me if time can be a periodic function in the equation for spacetime?

I'm not aware of any solution of the Einstein Field Equation where a timelike dimension is periodic in this way. Solutions of the EFE describe spacetime geometries; so time being a periodic function would mean that the geometry of spacetime was closed up along a timelike dimension--for example, if space were infinite, spacetime would be like a cylinder, "rolled up" along the time dimension. Again, I'm not aware of any solution that has this kind of geometry.

There are solutions, such as a closed FRW universe that expands and then recollapses, which have a finite length along a timelike dimension. But the timelike dimension is not periodic in these solutions; it doesn't go, in your words, from -1 to 0 to 1 and then back again. It just goes from (heuristically speaking) -1 to 0 to 1, then stops.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not aware of any solution of the Einstein Field Equation where a timelike dimension is periodic in this way. Solutions of the EFE describe spacetime geometries; so time being a periodic function would mean that the geometry of spacetime was closed up along a timelike dimension--for example, if space were infinite, spacetime would be like a cylinder, "rolled up" along the time dimension. Again, I'm not aware of any solution that has this kind of geometry.

There are solutions, such as a closed FRW universe that expands and then recollapses, which have a finite length along a timelike dimension. But the timelike dimension is not periodic in these solutions; it doesn't go, in your words, from -1 to 0 to 1 and then back again. It just goes from (heuristically speaking) -1 to 0 to 1, then stops.
What is FRW universe?

PeterDonis said:

That's the same thing as time being to 0 to 1 isn't it? if It was a cylinder.

Atlas3 said:
That's the same thing as time being to 0 to 1 isn't it?

Yes, you could assign a time coordinate either way, 0 to 1 or -1 to 1.

Likes Atlas3
Thank you. It has been enlightening to read your replies.

PeterDonis said:

I just wrapped my head around this to see the dimensions if time were "rolled up" and pictured that. But could it become a torus in a solution? time wrapped around the tube and space inside the ring? Is it something that can be reasonably solved for? I'm interested in understanding to work with this subject to find peace. That would have a problem too. Four of them I think. At each end of time and each end of the space dimensions?

Last edited:
Atlas3 said:
could it become a torus in a solution? time wrapped around the tube and space around the ring?

I don't know of a solution with this geometry either.

Likes Atlas3
PeterDonis said:
Can I find one? Are solutions proven to be exhausted at this point?

Atlas3 said:
Are solutions proven to be exhausted at this point?

No. There are probably many exact solutions out there that haven't been found. The EFE is a difficult equation to solve, and there are no general solution methods known; basically all of the known exact solutions have some kind of symmetry that simplifies the equations to something manageable.

Also, an exact solution is not the only way to extract useful information; numerical solutions are increasingly useful in that regard as computers continue to become more powerful.

Likes Atlas3
PeterDonis said:
No. There are probably many exact solutions out there that haven't been found. The EFE is a difficult equation to solve, and there are no general solution methods known; basically all of the known exact solutions have some kind of symmetry that simplifies the equations to something manageable.

Also, an exact solution is not the only way to extract useful information; numerical solutions are increasingly useful in that regard as computers continue to become more powerful.
Is there a starting point for this? I don't know where to begin. I could pursue numeric methods if pointed in the right direction also.

PeterDonis said:
A torus could be quite flat. If the dimensions were large enough it would fill space much the same as a sphere and be quite flat as well, couldn't that be?

Atlas3 said:
A torus could be quite flat. If the dimensions were large enough it would fill space much the same as a sphere and be quite flat as well, couldn't that be?
I found this information to pursue further. http://www.thephysicsforum.com/astrophysics-cosmology/6215-einsteins-equations.html

EDIT: that link was generous to op that needed much understanding however the description was informational.

Last edited by a moderator:
PeterDonis said:
You should just be able to put a flat metric on the torus. This would be locally equivalent to Minkowski space and the only differing thing would be the global geometry. Completely ruled out for our Universe of course, but an empty spacetime solution to the EFEs.

Likes Atlas3
Orodruin said:
You should just be able to put a flat metric on the torus. This would be locally equivalent to Minkowski space and the only differing thing would be the global geometry. Completely ruled out for our Universe of course, but an empty spacetime solution to the EFEs.

To comprehend an EFEs it need not match our Universe to have significance. Not useful significance necessarily. I'm not bright enough to do the numbers. But I can comprehend the algebra in a simple situation. I really appreciate your reply. You aren't required to. Thank you it provided guidance.

Related to Can time be a periodic function in GRFE?

1. Can time be considered a periodic function in General Relativity Field Equations (GRFE)?

No, time is not considered a periodic function in GRFE. According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. It is not a constant, repeating cycle like a periodic function.

2. Are there any theories that suggest time can be periodic in GRFE?

There are some theories, such as the cyclic model of the universe, that propose a cyclical or periodic nature of time. However, these theories are not currently supported by evidence and are still being studied and debated by scientists.

3. How does time dilation affect the periodicity of time in GRFE?

Time dilation, which is a core principle of GRFE, explains how time appears to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This means that the perception of time period or frequency can vary for different observers, but time itself is not considered a periodic function.

4. Can time be described as a wave or oscillation in GRFE?

No, time is not considered a wave or oscillation in GRFE. It is a dimension that is intertwined with space in the fabric of spacetime. While physical phenomena like light and sound can be described as waves, time itself is not considered one.

5. Is there any evidence to support time being periodic in GRFE?

No, there is currently no evidence to support the idea of time being a periodic function in GRFE. The theory of relativity, which is the basis of GRFE, has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations, and none have shown evidence of a periodic nature of time.