Can TI-83 Calculate Exponentials in Cartesian Form?

• Thread starter 14prc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-83
In summary, the conversation is about adding exponential numbers on a calculator and converting them to trig form and then back to exponential form. The TI-83 calculator may be able to do this with a third party program, while the TI-89 has this feature built-in. A tutorial and a link to a tutorial are provided for further assistance.
14prc
hi guys,
I have a little bit strange question

Somebody maybe know how to add to exponential on calculator to get directly answer, i mean like that:

8.7exp(-i145)+5.4exp(-i285) = 5.81exp(i176)

but i don't know how get this without polar form

Physics news on Phys.org
this is not a calculation you do on your calculator unless you have one that can do complex number addition.

The 8.7exp(-i45) ... are complex numbers you need to convert each number to trig form from the euler form you have and then to x + iy form before adding them.

I tried this aslo but is not working, just adding/substracting real and imaginary part. I thought to change smth in MODE but but didt help

why do you have to do it on the calculator? is that what the teacher said?

or does he/she expect you to use the calculator to convert it to the trig and then x+iy format and then use the calculator again to add the real and imaginary parts and then convert back to the euler format?

its for course electric power, need to count current faster

okay i don't think the ti-83 can do that without a third party program.

The TI-89 can do it though see this tutorial:

http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/complx89.htm

newsflash I found this (apparently you can do it on the TI-83):

http://www.tc3.edu/instruct/sbrown/ti83/complx83.htm

Thanks you so much :) i will test :)

Related to Can TI-83 Calculate Exponentials in Cartesian Form?

1. What is the purpose of using exponentials on TI-83?

The purpose of using exponentials on TI-83 is to perform calculations involving exponential functions, which are commonly used in many fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It allows for quick and accurate calculations of large numbers and small values.

2. How do I enter an exponential expression on TI-83?

To enter an exponential expression on TI-83, press the "Y=" button and select the "Exp" function from the menu. Then enter the base followed by the exponent, and close the parentheses. For example, to enter 2^3, you would enter "2^3)" on the calculator.

3. Can TI-83 handle negative exponents?

Yes, TI-83 can handle negative exponents. To enter a negative exponent, use the "(-)" button instead of the regular subtraction button. For example, to enter 2^-3, you would enter "2^(-3)" on the calculator.

4. How do I graph exponential functions on TI-83?

To graph an exponential function on TI-83, first enter the function in the "Y=" menu. Then, press the "GRAPH" button to see the graph. You can adjust the window settings to see the graph more clearly by pressing the "WINDOW" button.

5. Can TI-83 solve exponential equations?

No, TI-83 cannot solve exponential equations. It can only graph and evaluate exponential functions. To solve exponential equations, you will need a graphing calculator with a CAS (Computer Algebra System) or use a different method, such as algebraic manipulation or trial and error.