Can three particles be entangled?

In summary, there is a misconception that it is impossible to entangle multiple particles, but this is not true. It is possible for multiple particles to be entangled, but they may not all be maximally entangled with each other due to the monogamy of entanglement. This does not limit the number of particles that can be entangled in a state, such as the GHZ or W state.
caspeerrr

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand the information paradox at a black hole. Can three particles be entangled? I read on a site that it's impossible to entangle multiple particles. When searching on google I found out that it is possible for multiple particles to entangle. So what

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I read on a site that it's impossible to entangle multiple particles. When searching on google I found out that it is possible for multiple particles to entangle. So is it or is it not possible for multiple particles to entangle and what are the concequences?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to entangle multiple particles, without limitation on their number. I don't know what you read where, it could have been related to the no-cloning theorem.

caspeerrr said:
I read on a site that it's impossible to entangle multiple particles.

You probably just misunderstood someone talking about monogamy of entanglement. If A is maximally entangled with B (i.e. they form an EPR pair) then neither can also be maximally entangled with C.

There are of course entangled states involving arbitrarily many particles, such as the GHZ state ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}|000...0\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}|111...1\rangle## or the W state ##\frac{1}{\sqrt n}|100..0\rangle+ \frac{1}{\sqrt n}|010..0\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt n}|001..0\rangle + ... + \frac{1}{\sqrt n}|000..1\rangle##, it's just that such states don't contain particles that are maximally entangled with each other.

Likes caspeerrr

Related to Can three particles be entangled?

1. Can three particles be entangled?

Yes, three particles can be entangled. In quantum physics, entanglement refers to a phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle can affect the state of the other particles, even when they are physically separated. This can occur with any number of particles, including three.

2. How is entanglement achieved between three particles?

Entanglement between three particles can be achieved through a process called quantum state preparation, where the particles are carefully manipulated and controlled in a controlled environment. This can be done using various methods, such as using lasers or superconducting circuits.

3. What are the potential applications of three-particle entanglement?

Three-particle entanglement has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and quantum communication. It can also be used to study fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and to develop more accurate measurement techniques.

4. Can entangled particles be used for faster-than-light communication?

No, entangled particles cannot be used for faster-than-light communication. While entanglement allows particles to be connected in a way that their states can be correlated, it does not allow for the transfer of information faster than the speed of light. This is due to the principles of causality in physics.

5. How is three-particle entanglement different from two-particle entanglement?

Three-particle entanglement is different from two-particle entanglement in that it involves more particles and therefore more complex quantum states. Three-particle entanglement also has potential for more advanced applications, such as in quantum computing. However, the fundamental principles of entanglement remain the same regardless of the number of particles involved.