Can this vector equation be proven?

• Thread starter R3DH34RT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the identity delta x (a x b) = (b . delta) a - b (delta . a) + a (delta . b) - (a . delta) b, which involves using the curl operator in vector calculus. The conversation also mentions the use of the Leibnitz rule to simplify the proof and the importance of understanding basic calculus concepts before tackling more complex ones.
R3DH34RT
delta x (a x b) = (b . delta) a - b (delta . a) + a (delta . b) - (a . delta) b
all terms are in vectors, so delta x means curl.
Can anybody prove that?
Because I have tried to prove it, but it keeps failing.
Please help me to figure this out...
Thanks a lot...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it in component form :

[tex]\big( \nabla \times A \big)_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} A_{k}[/tex] where [tex]A_{k} = \epsilon_{klm} a_{l}b_{m}[/tex], so

[tex]\big( \nabla \times ( a \times b) \big)_{i} = \epsilon_{ijk} \partial_{j} (\epsilon_{klm} a_{l}b_{m})[/tex]

Remember the identity [tex]\epsilon_{ijk}\epsilon_{klm} = \delta_{il}\delta_{jm} - \delta_{im}\delta_{jl}[/tex] and just do some clearing up to get your answer.

But, with that, there will be only 2 terms left, instead of 4...
Is that true?
And what will happen with the other 2 terms?
I'm confused.
Thanks a lot...

Use the Leibnitz rule on [tex]\partial_{j}(a_{l}b_{m})[/tex], that'll double the number of terms.

I've never heard about that. Can you please explain a bit?
Thanks...

With ordinary functions it's also called the product rule:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(f g) = g \frac{df}{dx} + f \frac{dg}{dx}.[/tex]
In this case,
[tex]\partial_j(a_l b_m) = a_l \partial_j b_m + b_m \partial_j a_l[/tex]

R3DH34RT said:
I've never heard about that. Can you please explain a bit?
If you're being asked to do vector calculus identities, you must have been taught the Liebnitz rule?! It's one of the most important properties of a derivative.

Are you learning just from books? Because if you're just picking up a random book on calculus and geometry, you might be missing the essential requirements by skipping over the prerequesite books.

There's no point doing calculus in n dimensions if you can't do it in 1.

Oh yes, I forgot the name, but I remember that equation...
Thanks... :)

Related to Can this vector equation be proven?

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationships between different quantities in a multi-dimensional space. It is often represented by an array of numbers and can be used to model physical, chemical, and biological systems.

2. How is a tensor different from a vector or matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional tensor, while a matrix is a two-dimensional tensor. Tensors can have any number of dimensions, making them more versatile for modeling complex systems. Additionally, tensors have specific transformation rules that differ from vectors and matrices, making them useful for solving problems in physics and engineering.

3. What are some common applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of applications, including computer vision, signal processing, and machine learning. They are often used to analyze and process large amounts of data in fields such as astronomy, neuroscience, and climate science. Tensors also play a crucial role in physics, where they are used to describe the properties and interactions of particles and fields.

4. How are tensors used in machine learning?

Tensors are the fundamental data structure in deep learning, a subfield of machine learning. Tensors are used to represent and manipulate data in neural networks, which are computational models inspired by the structure and function of the human brain. Tensors allow neural networks to process and learn from large, high-dimensional datasets, making them powerful tools for tasks such as image and speech recognition.

5. Are tensors difficult to understand?

Tensors can be challenging to grasp initially, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics or physics. However, with practice and a solid understanding of linear algebra, tensors can become more intuitive. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help individuals learn about tensors and their applications in various fields.