Can the wavefunction of a particle determine its position in space?

In summary: At that time i wasn't even aware of the existence of the statistical interpretation. I was taught Copenhagian in school and didn't bother into MWI and BMech.I did some more reading inbetween, i guess...In summary, the wavefunction has periodic zeroes, and the |wavefunction|^2 gives the probability of finding that particle. The wavefunction is complex, and the real and imaginary parts have any physical significance. When doing problems involving the tunnel effect, one should use the current density.
cristian1500
Hello

I know that every particle has attached a wavefunction in quantum mechanics.

How does a free particle move in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction has periodic zeroes, and the |wavefunction|^2 gives the probability of finding that particle...so does this mean that in space the particle has certain places in which it cannot exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
A free particle with a definite momentum has a complex wave function:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)}[/tex]

Its probability density function is

[tex]\Psi^*\Psi = A^*e^{-i(kx - \omega t)}Ae^{i(kx - \omega t)} = A^*A[/tex]

which is uniform and does not have any zeroes.

This is an idealization because there is no such thing as a free particle with a perfectly definite momentum. A realistic free particle wave function is a wave packet whose p.d.f. is maximum at the position where the particle is most likely to be found, and falls off to zero as you go further away from that position. It's rather like taking the functions above and making A a variable instead of a constant, rising from zero to a maximum and then falling back to zero as you move along the x-axis.

Last edited:
I see. The wavefunction is complex! The real and imaginary parts have any physical significance?

When do I use the current density in quantum mechanics?

cristian1500 said:
I see. The wavefunction is complex! The real and imaginary parts have any physical significance?

No.

cristian1500 said:
When do I use the current density in quantum mechanics?

In problems involving the tunnel effect, for example.

cristian1500 said:
Hello

How does a free particle move in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction has periodic zeroes, and the |wavefunction|^2 gives the probability of finding that particle...so does this mean that in space the particle has certain places in which it cannot exist?

The probability (for 1-dimensional problems) of finding a particle in the region between [itex]x =a[/itex] and [itex]x =b[/itex] is

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} \Psi^* \Psi dx,[/tex]

so the probability of finding a particle at [itex]x = a[/itex] is

[tex]\int_{a}^{a} \Psi^* \Psi dx = 0[/tex]

even when the wavefunction at [itex]x = a[/itex] is non-zero.

(Delta functions aren't really allowed as states.)

Last edited:
cristian1500 said:
Hello

Careful! A complete system has a wavefunction attached to it! This is frequent error in learning quantum theory, it was a historical error too, and the way things are introduced in most textbooks could give the impression that with a particle, goes a wave.
But it is only in the case that our "complete system" is a single particle, that there is a wavefunction attached to a particle.
In the case we have several particles, there is a SINGLE wavefunction which is describing the SET of particles ; most of the time, this single wavefunction cannot be split into N "single-particle" wavefunctions.

cristian1500 said:
Hello

That's true only if one buys the Copenhagen Interpretation. The Statistical Interpretation denies it.

dextercioby said:
That's true only if one buys the Copenhagen Interpretation. The Statistical Interpretation denies it.
But you are one of those who buy it, aren't you?
https://www.physicsforums.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=978

Last edited by a moderator:
At that time i wasn't even aware of the existence of the statistical interpretation. I was taught Copenhagian in school and didn't bother into MWI and BMech.

I did some more reading inbetween, i guess...

EDIT: And I'm 24 yrs old. So far...

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
At that time i wasn't even aware of the existence of the statistical interpretation. I was taught Copenhagian in school and didn't bother into MWI and BMech.

I did some more reading inbetween, i guess...
You learn and change your opinion very fast. You must be rather young. Let me guess: 26?

vanesch said:
In the case we have several particles, there is a SINGLE wavefunction which is describing the SET of particles ; most of the time, this single wavefunction cannot be split into N "single-particle" wavefunctions.

Entanglement accounts for much "spookiness" in quantum theory.

dextercioby said:

I keep meaning to get a copy of Ballentine and look at this; on my "to do someday" list.

George Jones said:
The probability (for 1-dimensional problems) of finding a particle in the region between [itex]x =a[/itex] and [itex]x =b[/itex] is

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} \Psi^* \Psi dx,[/tex]

so the probability of finding a particle at [itex]x = a[/itex] is

[tex]\int_{a}^{a} \Psi^* \Psi dx = 0[/tex]

even when the wavefunction at [itex]x = a[/itex] is non-zero.

(Delta functions aren't really allowed as states.)
Sorry for the probably silly and/or already treated question: if an electron is point like, should this mean the probability to find it in a very small volume of space is not (almost) zero?

It all depends on the wavefunction, so it can take any value between 0 and 1, including 0 and 1.

lightarrow said:
Sorry for the probably silly and/or already treated question: if an electron is point like, should this mean the probability to find it in a very small volume of space is not (almost) zero?

I'm not sure what you're asking. As dextercioby has said, the probablity could be any number between 0 and 1.

Note that the position operator has no eigenstates, so it is impossible to prepare an electron in a state that is localized at a single point.

Does https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=722852" help?

Last edited by a moderator:
dextercioby said:

Define "Statistical Interpretation"

(I am familiar with MWI and I assume BMech is Bohmian Mech.)

Related to Can the wavefunction of a particle determine its position in space?

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a particle's quantum state. It describes the probability amplitude of a particle being in a certain location or having a certain momentum at a given time.

2. How is a wave function related to probability?

The absolute square of the wave function represents the probability density of finding a particle at a particular location or with a particular momentum. This means that the higher the value of the wave function at a certain point, the higher the probability of finding the particle there.

3. Can a wave function be negative?

Yes, a wave function can have both positive and negative values. However, the overall probability distribution is always positive.

4. What is the significance of the wave function collapse?

The wave function collapse refers to the sudden change in the particle's state when it is observed or measured. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is often referred to as the measurement problem.

5. Can the wave function of a particle change over time?

Yes, the wave function of a particle can change over time. This is described by the Schrödinger equation, which governs the evolution of the wave function and the behavior of particles in quantum systems.