Can the Sum of Second Derivatives of Charges be Claimed in a CLC Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Kirchoff's Loop law to determine the relationship between two capacitors connected in parallel. It is suggested that the sum of voltages around each loop must be 0, and the rules of derivatives are applied to determine the relationship between the charges and capacitances. The conversation also mentions considering the "wire" between the inductor and the capacitor and the ideal voltage drop across it.
ForumGuy
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.21.07 PM.png

Homework Equations

Capacitor (C): v(t) = (1/c)*q(t)
Inductor (L): v(t) = L(d^2q(t)/dt^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Kirchoff's Loop law, the sum of voltages around each loop must be 0. I think I can thus claim the following:
Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.32.28 PM.png

But I'm not so sure I can add the two 2nd derivatives of the charges like that. IF, however, this is true, then can I also claim that q_1(t)/C_1 = q_2(t)/C_2, by subtracting the two equations (or just setting them equal to each other?).

I'm new to Physics Forums, though I've read a lot on here, so let me know if I'm violating any rules! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.21.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.21.07 PM.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 1,247
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.28.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.28.50 PM.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 508
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.31.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.31.48 PM.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.32.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-28 at 4.32.28 PM.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 710
Likes Merlin3189
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the rules of derivatives. Would you say that ##\frac {d} {dt} {(f(t) + g(t))}## the same as ##\frac {d} {dt} {f(t)} + \frac {d} {dt} {g(t)}## ?
If so then I think you have your answer. How would you apply this to 2nd derivatives?

Also look at the "wire" between the inductor and the capacitor. For an ideal wire, how much voltage drop is there across that?

Related to Can the Sum of Second Derivatives of Charges be Claimed in a CLC Circuit?

1. What is a CLC circuit?

A CLC circuit is an electronic circuit that consists of a capacitor (C), an inductor (L), and a resistor (R) connected in series. It is also known as a tank circuit because of its ability to store and release energy in the form of oscillations.

2. How does a CLC circuit resonate?

A CLC circuit resonates when the capacitive reactance and inductive reactance cancel each other out, resulting in a purely resistive circuit. This causes the circuit to oscillate at its resonant frequency, which is determined by the values of the capacitor and inductor.

3. What is the resonant frequency of a CLC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a CLC circuit can be calculated using the formula: fr = 1/2π√(LC), where fr is the resonant frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

4. What are the applications of resonance in a CLC circuit?

The resonance of a CLC circuit has many practical applications, such as in radio receivers and transmitters, voltage regulators, and power supplies. It is also used in electronic filters to select specific frequencies and reject others.

5. How can resonance in a CLC circuit be controlled?

The resonance of a CLC circuit can be controlled by adjusting the values of the capacitor and inductor. By changing these values, the resonant frequency can be shifted to match the desired frequency. Additionally, the use of a variable capacitor or inductor can provide a means of tuning the circuit to a specific frequency.