Can the solution for (1/3)^x = log<a>x be found without using a slider?

• Thread starter CP2016
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary, the conversation discussed a logarithm mathematics problem involving the equation (1/3)^x = log<a>x, where <a> represents the base. The speaker used GeoGebra to graph the equation and find the intersection. However, they were unable to find the exact value of x and concluded that it may depend on the value of <a>. It was also mentioned that the question may be wrongly set and the solution may involve a non-elementary function such as the Lambert W function.
CP2016
1. I hit this logarithm mathematics problem.2. (1/3)^x = log<a>x
For clarifications, <a> means the base a

3. I have used GeoGeBra to graph them and managed to find the intersection.

But is there a solution for the exact value(s) of x?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this depends on the value of a.

That is also what I have thought. I think the question is wrongly set because I was using the slider in GeoGebra without which I got no where to go.

But I when tried putting a=3, just an arbitrary one, I could not figure out.

CP2016 said:
That is also what I have thought. I think the question is wrongly set because I was using the slider in GeoGebra without which I got no where to go.

But I when tried putting a=3, just an arbitrary one, I could not figure out.

The solution involves a non-elementary function, in this case the so-called Lambert W function; see, eg.,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert_W_function.

Related to Can the solution for (1/3)^x = log<a>x be found without using a slider?

1. How do I solve (1/3)^x = logx?

To solve (1/3)^x = logx, you will need to use logarithmic and exponential rules. First, rewrite the logarithmic function as an exponential function: x = (1/3)^logx. Then, use the power rule to solve for x. This will give you the final answer for the equation.

2. Can this equation be solved without using logarithms?

No, this equation involves both logarithms and exponentials, so logarithms are necessary to solve it.

3. Is there a specific method or formula to solve this equation?

Yes, there are specific rules and formulas for solving equations involving logarithms and exponentials. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base formula.

4. What values of x make this equation true?

The values of x that make this equation true will depend on the value of the base, , in the logarithmic function. For example, if = 2, then x = 1 will make the equation true.

5. Can this equation have more than one solution?

Yes, this equation can have multiple solutions depending on the value of the base, , in the logarithmic function. Some bases may have no solutions, while others may have infinite solutions.